Hit hi-light perplexity

Rod Decker

When I run this search in the ESV module (words; Pentateuch only):

(Lord,God) <FOLLOWED BY> <WITHIN 2 Words> (said,spoke) <FOLLOWED BY> <WITHIN 2 Words> to moses

I get 328 hits in 164 verses, but the results only hi-light the 2d and 3d elements, not the first; i.e., Lord or God are never hi-lighted. Am I doing something wrong? Is the search actually getting only occurrences of all three search criteria combined?

E.g., here are a few of the results:

Ex. 3:14 God
said to Moses

It's simply because two "FOLLOWED BY" commands cause problems in the Search window due to the logic of the argument. use the Construct window instead and all your words should be properly highlighted. I'll post a picture in a moment.

Took one minute to create the argument:

Construct.png

There are 164 hits for the phrase.

Wow! Thanks for such a fast response. I tend to use the search box in these instances since it's so much faster (all keyboard, no mouse! :) --so long as you know the keyboard shortcuts...

I guess I don't understand the "logic of the argument" (but I'm not a programmer). I'd assume it would be interpreted as: find all occurrences of either "Lord" or "God" which is followed by (within 2 words) either "said" or "spoke" which is also followed by (within 2 words) "to Moses."

Is it only the *display* that's incorrect? Or is the actual number of hits also incorrect when using the search box?

Thanks,

Rod

There are 164 hits for the phrase.

Since the number of hits is the same, can I asafely assume, then, that the results match? Or should that not be assumed in general? (i.e., might it not match in some other similar situations?)

Any reason why you put "to" and "Moses" in separate cols? Is it not possible to use a phrase here? (I don't think I've ever used the simple construct, only Greek.)

Correct, each column represents a single word in a phrase.

Archived