Photo

Let Concordia Know How Accordance Users Feel about Luther on Accordance vs. Logos Exclusivity

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#21 Christopher

Christopher

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 22 May 2009 - 05:24 PM

Rev. McCain knows how I feel :D but I'll add my $0.02 here as well: I would love, and pay dearly for, CPH products on Accordance. I want the whole kit 'n kiboodle (sp?). B)
Christopher S. Esget
Pastor, Immanuel Ev.-Lutheran Church (LCMS)
Alexandria, Virginia, USA

Blog: Esgetology
Immanuel Lutheran Church

#22 Glen Piper

Glen Piper

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 03:58 PM

I'd be interested in Luther's Works, Concordia, & TLSB in Accordance format. Libronix/Mac has stuck me as largely "meh", so *finally* getting access to "the goods" in Accordance would be outstanding!

-ghp
--
In Christ,
Glen Piper
Read Territorial Bloggings

#23 Paul T. McCain

Paul T. McCain

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Lutheran theology. History. Reading. Fine art. Baroque music. All things Macintosh.
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:37 PM

I thought I should report back to this group on the status of negotiations between Concordia Publishing House and OakTree. We have, unfortunately, been unable to agree on mutually satisfactory terms and therefore Concordia Publishing House will not be offering resources in the Accordance format. We gave this our very level best, and I appreciate Greg Ward's helpful, open and honest approach to these issues. I regret we could not work things out, but that's the way these things go sometimes. Our two companies have fundamentally different business models and needs and we were unable to reconcile those differences.
(The Rev.) Paul T. McCain
Publisher
Concordia Publishing House
Saint Louis, Missouri

#24 Rick Yentzer

Rick Yentzer

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Bible, family, reading, philosophy, apologetics, theology, markup, coding and programming
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:48 AM

Our two companies have fundamentally different business models and needs and we were unable to reconcile those differences.

This may not be the business of the members of this forum who enjoy the Accordance software but I would like to know what exactly is the "business model" and "needs" of Concordia Publishing House and those of Oaktree Software?

This may help clear up any ill feelings that will likely occur.
"I'm not afraid of failure. I'm afraid to succeed in something that isn't important." William Carey

#25 Greg Ward

Greg Ward

• Accordance
  • 26 posts
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:26 AM

Rick, Ryan, et al,

Perhaps it is unfortunate, but business models are necessary for all Christian businesses and ministries. Nothing happens for free. Both CPH and Accordance (OakTree) have limited resources, and business models within which to function. To say that our business models are incompatible is no where near saying profit is either of our sole motives. In fact it isn't even the primary motive (actually its not really a motive at all) for Accordance, and while I certainly wouldn't presume to speak for Paul, or CPH, I'd guess he'd say something similar.

As to the exact nature of the business models in question, or needs of either entity, I do not think this is really the proper forum for such a conversation. So, we won't go into all the details, which quite honestly get rather complicated anyway. I will say that I agree heartily with Paul, in that we gave it our best to work this out. He was frank and gracious with me, and I am grateful for the conversation. Finally, I will say that at this point only one title was in discussion, the forthcoming Lutheran Study Bible, and while things did not work out for that title, I still hold out hope that CPH and Accordance can work together on other products in the future.

Many thanks to all of you for your enthusiasm this.

Greg Ward
Licensing
Accordance Bible Software

#26 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 2,812 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:17 PM

At this point, the topic needs to be closed. Though we try our best not to censor what our users say on the forums, we do want to maintain good, positive relationships with all parties. Thus, any posts attacking the character of any person or group will be removed. The Forum Guidelines have also been adjusted to reflect this. Thus, I've removed the posts not relevant to the primary discussion of CPH works on Accordance. If you have any further questions or desire clarification, please feel free to message me.
Joel Brown

By day: Consultant for Oaktree
By night: Freelance Trombonist and Private Instructor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users