• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Greg Terry

Greg Terry

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study & Accordance!, Puritans and John Calvin, Old Testament study - especially Leviticus, Model Railroading, Apple Computers, & Fountain Pens
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:41 PM

Would it be possible for there to be a list of forthcoming titles somewhere on the Accordance website?

I am only referring to those titles which are actually in the process of development and scheduled for release.

I wouldn't expect that their would be an anticipated delivery date included - I know those have a way of changing. Just knowing what was coming around the bend would be good.

This would be very helpful for those of us who must carefully budget their software purchases.
Peace!

Greg

"I was but a Pen in God's hand, and what praise is due to a Pen?"

–Richard Baxter–

#2 DanG

DanG

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:44 PM

It would also keep me from buying software from the "other" guys like I have done in the past and NOT buying it from Accordance. Had I know Accordance was working on certain items I would have waited for the Accordance version, which is my preference.

#3 Fr. Rich

Fr. Rich

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:My grandchildren
    Bible study
    Adjusting to retirement
    Fly fishing

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:34 PM

I too, would love to have such a list.

Rich Miller
Retired Priest
Christ the King Episcopal Church
Huntington, Indiana

Accordance 11.x running on Yosemite on MBP late 2014

Labor mediator and arbitrator

#4 sobertruth

sobertruth

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:00 AM

It would also keep me from buying software from the "other" guys like I have done in the past and NOT buying it from Accordance. Had I know Accordance was working on certain items I would have waited for the Accordance version, which is my preference.

This has also been my experience.
Chris
Presbyterian Pastor

#5 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,428 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:32 PM

In general we don't pre-advertise our offerings, but anyone is welcome to ask us off-forum whether we have something in the works.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#6 DanG

DanG

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:54 PM

In general we don't pre-advertise our offerings, but anyone is welcome to ask us off-forum whether we have something in the works.

I regularly purchase books/software for research/study. Accordance has already missed out on sales of several hundred dollars from me because of this policy. I probably won't pick up the phone every week or every other week to check on every item I purchase. A great website, like the one Accordance has, is so much more convenient.

I would think it would be in the best interest of the seller to make it as convenient as possible for the buyer in terms of product information and buying experience. I would love to see Accordance be more successful in this area.

#7 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,641 posts
  • Interests:a good cup of coffee, sci-fi, playing bass, listing to jazz and the blues, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:01 AM

Let me address this on Helen's behalf.

All of us in the Mac world are familiar with vaporware and empty promises. I have personally waited several years for a piece of software, promised to be "almost ready for release," only to be disappointed because the company could never bring it to market. As a result of these kinds of experiences, Accordance decided to take the high road. We only advertise modules that are ready to be released—or for which we can set firm release dates. We also don't offer pre-release sales.

Module development is filled with unexpected pitfalls. We have pretty high standards for our modules and don't release them until with have all the issues in each one resolved. We have a backlog of modules under development, others currently being negotiated with publishers, and others about which we are only now just dreaming! At times, module development gets pushed back as we try to get an update ready for release or all jump in to bring some other large project to successful conclusion.

My recommendation?

Let us know what your top priorities are for purchase. Ask [privately] if a resource is in the pipeline and what the expected release date it. Then, if you absolutely have to have it now, purchase it in hardback from a discount retailer. When the Accordance module is released, sell the hardback on eBay [or to a student! ;)] and use the price to help offset the cost of the module. I've done this for years. My students have benefited from some great deals on books, and I can "have my cake and eat it too."

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

Mac: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz Quad core, 16 GB RAM, Mercury 6G 480 SSD + 1.5 TB HD, OSX 10.10, Yosemite

iPhone 6 plus 64 GB iOS 8.1

#8 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,862 posts
  • Interests: gadgets, coffee, running and cycling, Rays baseball

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:47 PM

I probably won't pick up the phone every week or every other week to check on every item I purchase.

How about email? Or a quick forum post? That would only take seconds to do, and unless she is sleeping (which probably isn't very often) or without internet, Helen usually responds within minutes. ;)

Rick Bennett
Director of Content Development
iOS Working Group

#9 DanG

DanG

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:45 PM

How about email? Or a quick forum post? That would only take seconds to do, and unless she is sleeping (which probably isn't very often) or without internet, Helen usually responds within minutes. ;)

That's a good suggestion. However, I stand by my statement that "I would think it would be in the best interest of the seller to make it as convenient as possible for the buyer in terms of product information and buying experience. I would love to see Accordance be more successful in this area."

As you say, Helen is GREAT at responding quickly. So, if the information isn't secret, and Helen will answer questions about specific resources, then why not just put the information out there--with the obligatory disclaimers like "this is subject to change," etc.

I know this has been suggested in the forum several times, and with some regularity. So I'm not the only one who thinks it would be a benefit. I do also note that it has always received the same response as this time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users