Word counts

gregoreite

I can't think of an easy way to do this in Accordance or any other software, but I am trying to sort vocabulary in a given text block, say, a NT book, according to frequency. For example, as I study Philippians, I'd like to make a vocabulary list according to the frequency in that book. A bonus if I could do it by root rather than inflected form.

Does anyone have a suggestion how I might be able to do this?

The way I did it real quick was:

[count 1-99999] <and> <range 2 John>

then I clicked "Details" and went to "Analysis"

Click "command+t" and selected "Count Down" under sort.

You might have to adjust for a longer book, or put in a different number than 99999. I didn't know what the highest frequency was, so I figured I'd just cover them all that way haha.

Hope that helps? I'd love to know if there is a better way to do this as well.

Except for sort by root, this is cake for Accordance:

1. Create a range for and set it to the pericope you want (e.g., Philippians in GNT-T)

2. Search for * in Words mode

3. Click Details

4. Click the Analysis tab (or button to create one)

5. Change the Sort: criterion to Count Down or Count Up

Count is average hits per 1000 words (if you did not constrain the range in step 1 and used * <AND> [RANGE Philippians] in step 2, the statistics will be frequency across the entire NT instead of the pericope).

You could then use Joe Weaks' FlashCord app to export the output to flashcard app...

I can't think of an easy way to do this in Accordance or any other software, but I am trying to sort vocabulary in a given text block, say, a NT book, according to frequency. For example, as I study Philippians, I'd like to make a vocabulary list according to the frequency in that book. A bonus if I could do it by root rather than inflected form.

Does anyone have a suggestion how I might be able to do this?

Not exactly what you're looking for, but here's a start:

1. Use a defined range relevant to what you want (e.g. book of acts)

2. do a word search for *

3. Click Details button

4. Click "Analysis"

and you have a word list. Here's the top of my results for doing this with Acts:

Total number of verses = 1007

(total number of verses displayed = 1007)

* (24494 total words)

A = 20

(No Key number) = 20

a = 294

(No Key number) = 294

Aaron = 1

G0002 Aaron ∆Aarw

All this was very helpful and answered my question. Joe Weaks' app looks like a great tool as well. Thanks you all very much.

Archived