Search Help

Brett K.

I'm sure there is a problem with my search syntax, but I don't know what it is. I want to find every translation that does not use the word "homosexual" in 1 Corinthians 6.9. Here is the syntax I used (with [All Bibles] as the search group):

[Range 1 cor 6.9] <NOT> homosexual*

That only returns one translation. But when I manually look at other translations, there are a few more that don't use the word. Why are they not showing up in the results?

Thanks

--

Brett

Brett,

I believe the issue here is that Accordance does not search for words which are not in the indexed word list of a translation. The reason this search works for NJB is that the NJB does use the word "homosexual," just not in 1 Cor 6:9. The KJV for example, does not use the word "homosexual" at all, so it looks like Accordance is effectively skipping that translation. If you tried this search in the KJV itself, Accordance would not perform the search; it would simply tell you that the word "homosexual" cannot be found.

At this point, I'm afraid I can't think of a way around this.

At this point, I'm afraid I can't think of a way around this.

Well, Brett, for your immediate purposes, the work-around is simply to search for

[Range 1 cor 6.9] <AND> homosex*

and then look through your module list identifying all the translations that did not show up in the results. These are the translations that do not use that word in 1 Cor 6:9.

However, that still does not address this significant flaw in the Accordance Search All mechanism.

Archived