7 replies to this topic

#1 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 2,738 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:12 PM

As is quite obvious to most of you, we've just completed a major upgrade of our forums. It features some new functionality and obviously a whole new look, so enjoy! Feel free to ask any questions or leave any comments here. We are getting used to it as much as you are!
Joel Brown

By day: Consultant for Oaktree
By night: Freelance Trombonist and Private Instructor

#2 revtim

revtim

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:discipling, loving my wife and family, preaching, & technology

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:57 AM

I like the look, it is crisper and cleaner.
In Christ,

Tim Hall

#3 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:00 AM

Summary of new forum features:

• User and post reputation:
Now users can moderate posts to an extent, rating them positively and negatively. On the bottom of all posts but your own, you will now find green and red buttons, plus a number indicating the current rating. As posts are considered more reputable, they can eventually be highlighted and stand out. For users that consistently make highly reputable posts, it is reflected in their profile. The same abilities and consequences also apply to negative posts. Our hope is that this will encourage users to post a little better, and help people see which replies are more trustworthy or applicable.

• Forum Watching:
Now, on any forum or topic, you can click the big blue 'Watch this Forum' or 'Watch this Topic' button in the top right. From there you can manage a subscription to the forum or topic, be it through e-mail, visual notification, or digest.

• User Control Panel:
Is now located under your user name's drop down menu, at the very top right of every screen. There are a plethora of options here, enabling you to customize how you view the forums better.

• 'Home' page:
There are two new areas on the main forums page, Recent Topics, and Watched Forums. The recent topics display the 5 most recently discussed topics, with quick links to their last post. If you don't want to see this, or any other forum category, you can click the white minus button to minimize its display. The Watched Forums on the right will display all subscriptions you have, to specific topics or entire forums, informing you of any new posts in either. For those that don't want to see this, click the 'X' above it, to hide it and expand the rest of the forums content.

** Note:
In upgrading to the new forums, it 'forgot' the old topics that you have already viewed. Within each specific forum is a button 'Mark Forum as Read' that you can use. If you prefer to do them all at the same time, at the very very bottom of the home page is a small link 'Mark Board as Read' that you can use. By clicking these links, any new posts will give you visual notification in that forum's icon.

And, as I said before, please leave any comments, suggestions, or questions here. We hope you continue to enjoy the new look and functionality!
  • mikes likes this
Joel Brown

#4 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Interests:I like things that are Orange, and possibly Blue.
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:07 PM

Joel,
Looks nice.
However, you still haven't answered my question about a mobile skin. The new skin is still a drag to use in iPhone Safari.
The need for an optional mobil skin will only increase.
Joe Weaks
The Macintosh Biblioblog

Sometimes I'm so helpful even I can't stand it.

#5 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:53 PM

This new version of the forums does come with a Lo-Fi theme, designed for smaller screensizes and decreased bandwidth. To switch to it, there is a popup menu at the far bottom right of every page. It initially had the iPhone default to it, but I and some others thought it was less ideal for the iPhone than the normal one. For now, iPhones and other mobile devices will still default to the main skin, but users can choose to use the other one if they wish. We are open to adding more skins, and I am keeping my eye out. Since the board was just released and had some major changes, I haven't found much. If you happen to see a skin you like that is economically viable, be sure to let us know and we'll look into it. Remember to make sure it is IP Board 3.x compatible, not 2.x!
Joel Brown

#6 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Interests:I like things that are Orange, and possibly Blue.

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:14 PM

Thanks for the response.
The regular and lo-fi versions really don't look that different on the iphone screen. Both default to tiny windows and controls.
I hope someone releases an iPhone skin for 3.* release of IPBoard, then.
Joe Weaks
The Macintosh Biblioblog

Sometimes I'm so helpful even I can't stand it.

#7 basurf

basurf

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 01:30 AM

Thanks for the response.
The regular and lo-fi versions really don't look that different on the iphone screen. Both default to tiny windows and controls.
I hope someone releases an iPhone skin for 3.* release of IPBoard, then.

If there is an iphone theme out there it would most likely hit vBulletin or IPB...they are the two top forum software packages.

#8 William B

William B

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 01:00 PM

I really like forums - I think for companys they give a transparancy that can give customers confidence, I always check forums to see what customer care is like, how users respond to one another and if there are loads of complaints.

One thing that may help the site is a general discussion area for discussion about any ole thing? would allow accordance users to get to know one another somewhat could add a greater community feel to the forums.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users