Improved Search Functionality

ThaNatrix

Let me start by saying I absolutely love Accordance and use it as both a student and a teacher on a daily basis. Some years ago I migrated to the mac from windows pcs and their subsequent dominating software Bibleworks. I desperately miss the search feature contained in that program. If you are unfamiliar with it I shall explain: Basically, doing a word search pulls up all hits in a window to the left of the text screen in which all hits are present with a limited preview (usually 3/4 of the entire verse). You simply have to browse the window to find exactly what you're looking for, click it, and it's pulled up in the text window. This allows immediate full text display of the context surrounding your search, without having to click the MK button several times to find what you're looking for. This streamlines searches, for the user doesn't have to tweak several preferences every time. I would love to see something similar to this make an appearance in Accordance. I'm the administrator for several macs and pcs, and this is the number one complaint for people switching from Bibleworks to Accordance. Some go so far as to emulate windows xp simply to retain such search ease. I know such a feature native in Accordance would make happy many in the circles in which I operate. Thanks for the read!

This same functionality can be achieved pretty easily in Accordance. First, do a word search. Then, click in the verse reference for the verse you want to study, and on the resource pallet click the Context button (the scroll with the up/down arrows). That will open a new window/tab with the verse you selected and all the surrounding text. You can then add panes to see whatever translations/texts you want. If you have it set to recycle (on by default), you can go back to your original search, select another reference, click context, and it will go to that place in the text, saving your panes and settings for you so you don't have to recreate it. You can even save this setup as a favorite workspace if you use it regularly so that you always have it quickly available.

I would also recommend that you read the Quick Reference Guide if you haven't read it yet. It explains the interface of Accordance and the way the developers envision the typical workflow. I think one of the issues here is being used to a BibleWorks workflow that is managed differently in Accordance. At any rate, the good news is that the functionality is there in Accordance if that's how you want to structure your workflow. I hope this helps!

Another option is to tie the scrolling of your two windows together. Then you don't even need to hit Context as the text window will scroll to match the verse at the top of the first window. If you detach and tile one of the windows, you can see both at once.

Back in February, another user blogged about his transition from BW to Accordance, and he raised the same point you have here. I responded with a post to the Accordance blog you might find interesting. Some of the advice I give is similar to that given by Robb and Helen.

Back in February, another user blogged about his transition from BW to Accordance, and he raised the same point you have here. I responded with a post to the Accordance blog you might find interesting. Some of the advice I give is similar to that given by Robb and Helen.

Thanks all! I've managed to tie the two windows together as suggested and am currently satisfied. I shall pass this on to others who share my previous frustration!

Archived