ETS/SBL

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,478 posts
  • Interests:a good cup of coffee, sci-fi, playing bass, listing to jazz and the blues, camping, fishing and the great outdoors
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:31 AM

We're working on a podcast that reviews Accordance's presence this past week at ETS and SBL. We also held a day-long seminar for Accordance users between the two conventions.

For my part, it was great it see so many of you who have been long time users—and to demo Accordance for those not familiar with our software. I noticed that many, many scholars are switching to Macs. Of course, they want software that has the same look and feel, as well as the ease of use that has made Macs so popular. We also had a full version of Accordance running on a small Windows 7 netbook using the emulator, so people could see they could use our software with other makes of computers.

My favorite part of the demos was showing our new Dead Sea Scrolls images. They are truly eye-popping! Watching the expression on people's faces as they saw the images was priceless. They are clear enough to translate directly from the photographs. [We NT scholars are soooo envious....]

One user, from the University of Chicago, asked some very technical questions about the source of the Qumran texts I couldn't begin to answer. Fortunately, Marty Abegg happened to be at the booth and was able to address his concerns in detail. [Yes, the user eventually bought the text—and a whole lot of other texts as well!] Now that's customer service!

I'll be working on the podcast for a while yet. Meanwhile, feel free to post your own impressions here.
Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

#2 Donovan R. Palmer

Donovan R. Palmer

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:29 PM

I'll be working on the podcast for a while yet. Meanwhile, feel free to post your own impressions here.

Thanks so much for posting this report. It is so helpful to read what people thought! Wished I could have gone!

#3 A. Smith

A. Smith

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:49 PM

There are definitely a lot of scholars on mac now! I thought ETS looked like a macworld convention. From what I saw, easily 80% or even 90% of the laptops were mac.
Anthony Smith
Southwest Christian Church
Ocala, Florida

#4 Donovan R. Palmer

Donovan R. Palmer

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:40 AM

There are definitely a lot of scholars on mac now! I thought ETS looked like a macworld convention. From what I saw, easily 80% or even 90% of the laptops were mac.

I was discussing the growth of Macs yesterday. Another demographic I have seen significant growth is amongst young people. It used to be in a room of young people you would see one or two macs. Now, a good third to one half of some of the groups of young people we work with have macs. Of course this age group is the one that will be candidates for seminary and theological studies in a few years. At least from my limit perspective, it appears there are going to be more potential customers than ever for Accordance.

#5 Tom Childers

Tom Childers

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:church history, cemetery walks, computers, genealogy, photography, ham radio

Posted 26 November 2009 - 06:34 PM

In a survey taken at Freed-Hardeman University, a Christian school in Henderson, TN, 48% of the students surveyed indicated their next computer purchase would be a Mac.

#6 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,021 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:57 PM

Dr. J's Podcast: Accordance News Dec 2009 is now online for your enjoyment.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users