• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Interests:I like things that are Orange, and possibly Blue.
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:27 PM

As a reader & fan of the ASV since 1961, I don't believe that there is any significant variation between publishers of the ASV in the text.

It seems to me, as an observer of this thread, that you're not listening/trusting the good intentions of other helpful users who are trying help you and everyone understand the situation. These are just other users trying to be helpful. We're all on the same team.

But I myself don't know of a better scholar-committee-made translation to use when having a debate as a neutral source in English. Since the ASV seems to have followed the philosophy of rather wooden literalism & even studied ambiguity (when the original is ambiguous), it IMHO, is the best English translation still to use when checking a doctrinal claim made on a proof text.

This, IMHO, is not the best use of translation. Either checking the original language text or making use of a good scholarly contemporary translation are two better choices. You are, of course, free to prefer the ASV since it's what you're used to.

Also, it appears to me that when the English RV & its American variant, the ASV, were produced, Biblical scholars (on average) knew Greek a whole lot better than today

True, perhaps. But they were also ignorant of a lot, including new text discoveries, translation theory, etc.

But I don't accept the responsibility of correcting the ASV free for Accordance.

Reality is there's no commercial value for spending tremendous work on updating an ASV text to align with the published version you're familiar with. So, if you care about the text, email in errors you find. Nothing will change otherwise.
And, no, errors in the text are not bugs.
Joe Weaks
The Macintosh Biblioblog

Sometimes I'm so helpful even I can't stand it.

#22 Enoch

Enoch

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:15 PM

It seems to me, as an observer of this thread, that you're not listening/trusting the good intentions of other helpful users who are trying help you and everyone understand the situation. These are just other users trying to be helpful. We're all on the same team.

This, IMHO, is not the best use of translation. Either checking the original language text or making use of a good scholarly contemporary translation are two better choices. You are, of course, free to prefer the ASV since it's what you're used to.

True, perhaps. But they were also ignorant of a lot, including new text discoveries, translation theory, etc.

Reality is there's no commercial value for spending tremendous work on updating an ASV text to align with the published version you're familiar with. So, if you care about the text, email in errors you find. Nothing will change otherwise.
And, no, errors in the text are not bugs.

#23 Enoch

Enoch

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for the interaction. I never regarded this thread as "trying to help me." I am suggesting that the Accordance ASV should be corrected by those who sell it in the interests of integrity, not necessarily in order to make money at this point. I think the ASV module should be regarded as a recall by an auto manufacturer that sold a car that has manufacturing defects in it.

Recently I bought a trumpet from the Vincent Bach company. Its main tuning slide had a cork that did not align right with its water key, allowing a water leak from the trumpet. (Condensed vapor causes fluid to build up in a trumpet & has to be let out from time to time by a performer.) Bach sent me a new tuning slide at no cost, which is what I believe they should have done.

I believe that the ASV continues to be an important Bible tool which continues to help those preparing new translations or versions of the English Bible, even if the masses are now ignorant of it.

Of course Accordance is a great Bible study tool. Its ASV is a defect in its perfection. I suggest that Accordance buy an ASV from Star Publishing and use it. Also Accordance might obtain a copy of BibleSoft's ASV and compare it electronically. Is BibleSoft still in business? I used its ASV in its old DOS Bible program, and I don't recall finding errors in it.

Edited by Enoch, 11 December 2010 - 07:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users