#1 James Tucker

James Tucker

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:23 AM

Yesterday, David Lang's blog post reminded me what I try to teach, if it can be taught, to freshman level Bible Study Methods students—curiosity. I posted a comment on David's post (via Facebook), hinting at what I think Accordance does best—it has the potential to mirror the mind! This is no small feat in the world of computer science. What is more, I don't have to possess a computer science degree to understand Accordance, although as much I tinker with computers I am well on my of earning one. Since I have been a user of Accordance, I have always found that Accordance accompanies and accommodates my curiosity. Syntax question while exegeting a text—a quick search argument will yield lightening fast results. Exegetical interpolation in LXX, infer command may lead to a treasure trove of exegetical nuggets! Simply put—my exegetical imagination is Accordance friendly and Accordance does not hinder my exegetical imagination! Thus, thank you Accordance for the hard work! It makes me proud to not only be a user but a resource!

Shalom,

#2 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,499 posts
  • Interests:a good cup of coffee, sci-fi, playing bass, listing to jazz and the blues, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:08 PM

Yesterday, David Lang's blog post reminded me what I try to teach, if it can be taught, to freshman level Bible Study Methods students—curiosity. I posted a comment on David's post (via Facebook), hinting at what I think Accordance does best—it has the potential to mirror the mind! This is no small feat in the world of computer science. What is more, I don't have to possess a computer science degree to understand Accordance, although as much I tinker with computers I am well on my of earning one. Since I have been a user of Accordance, I have always found that Accordance accompanies and accommodates my curiosity. Syntax question while exegeting a text—a quick search argument will yield lightening fast results. Exegetical interpolation in LXX, infer command may lead to a treasure trove of exegetical nuggets! Simply put—my exegetical imagination is Accordance friendly and Accordance does not hinder my exegetical imagination! Thus, thank you Accordance for the hard work! It makes me proud to not only be a user but a resource!

Shalom,

I too taught [sophomore] Bible Study methods for many years. In doing so, I was forced to think through the process by which exegetes come to their conclusions—and try to explain them to students with little exposure to formal Bible study or any biblical languages.

I agree with you entirely. Accordance allows for free association, exploring whims, chasing rabbit trails and the other kinds of mental processes that make for good research. People often forget that a blind alley for research of one scripture will often yield riches later for another. I know that some who are untrained find this sort of free form research intimidating or confusing. Once you get past that obstacle though, it's exhilarating!
Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

#3 James Tucker

James Tucker

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:55 AM

I too taught [sophomore] Bible Study methods for many years. In doing so, I was forced to think through the process by which exegetes come to their conclusions—and try to explain them to students with little exposure to formal Bible study or any biblical languages.

I agree with you entirely. Accordance allows for free association, exploring whims, chasing rabbit trails and the other kinds of mental processes that make for good research. People often forget that a blind alley for research of one scripture will often yield riches later for another. I know that some who are untrained find this sort of free form research intimidating or confusing. Once you get past that obstacle though, it's exhilarating!

Indeed! It is great to have a software program at my finger tips with many nuances to advance my research. Accordance is truly a master piece as far as I am concerned. I think in the upcoming years we will see more academic papers, such as Marineau's work on Judges and INFER, where Accordance plays a vocalized role in Biblical Studies (vocalized meaning, predominate, not footnote matter). It is an exciting time to be in scholarship!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users