#21 Chuck Schneider

Chuck Schneider

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:38 PM

If you give me advance warning, I'll purchase an iPad to help with any beta testing. :)
OSX Yosemite
Version 10.10
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB

iPad Air 2 iOS 8.1

128 GB

#22 Rick

Rick

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:45 PM

Ah, I'm actually glad about a dozen or so people have already brought this up! I agree with much of what's already been said. I would much rather want to see Accordance on an iPad than an iPhone. An iPhone app would be good for quick reference and whatnot, but on an iPad, one could actually do some decent research.

I assume licensing will be a big hurdle. I know I'm not the only one who's spent several hundred on Accordance modules and wouldn't want to repay for texts I already own.

Also, I'll just say that I'm willing to wait for a version of Accordance with a stellar UI, fun multi-touch controls, easy syncing between my Mac, and powerful search features. Take your time guys.

#23 Moondougie

Moondougie

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:58 PM

I'll likely end up buying an iPad (if not in a couple of months, then at the very least when the 2nd gen comes out - but whenever an iPad version of Accordance comes out I'll definitely be buying it (unless it's not able to use the Accordance library I already have on my MacBook Pro) and if that comes out before I've already purchases an iPad, I'll be buying the iPad as soon as Accordance is available for it. (hope that sentence made sense“)

#24 Allen Watson

Allen Watson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:00 PM

We are thinking hard....

I definitely want Accordance on the iPad, and plan to get one. I own an iPod Touch already and would be happy to test an app on that. I understand that the SDK for the iPad just came out yesterday, so obviously this will take you guys some time, if you do it. I hope you do!!

#25 DavidDoyle

DavidDoyle

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:50 PM

I'm buying one of these. I'd love to have my Accordance Bibles and personal notes that would sync with the notes on my MacBook.

#26 Daniel Doleys

Daniel Doleys

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:39 PM

I will echo what has been said, if Accordance develops a full version for the iPad I will buy it and the iPad in a heartbeat. With iWork it would fulfill 90% of my computing needs. If it is possible I would be overjoyed!

#27 countach

countach

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:04 AM

I haven't decided if I'm interested in iPad yet, but if Accordance were available it might push me over the edge.

But let me say I don't think we need a full featured Accordance up front. A simple e-book reader for synching already purchased modules, the most rudimentary searching and perhaps user-note synching would fine with me as a starting point. And if the Accordance code is at all modularised, I don't see why this bare bones functionality shouldn't be a doddle to put together. Do real research on the Mac, but do casual reading on the iPad. That would be a fine starting point. Maybe even an ending point, because frankly the lack of multitasking makes the iPad rather unsuitable for say, flipping between a word processor and Accordance anyway for doing real work, and is much more suitable for e-reading.

#28 Denes House

Denes House

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:42 AM

Even though iPad will not have multitasking, I'm sure it will retain the functionality of the iPhone and have a cross-app clipboard for cutting and pasting.
Denes House
"When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost." --Rev. Billy Graham

#29 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:49 AM

Even though iPad will not have multitasking, I'm sure it will retain the functionality of the iPhone and have a cross-app clipboard for cutting and pasting.

This brings up an interesting issue. On my iPhone sometimes apps pick up where I left off and some of them start fresh. For instance, with the CNN app, I might be in the middle of reading a story, but if I go out to another app and come back, sometimes it's right where I left off but sometimes it has gone back to the next screen. I don't know if this has to do with how long I'm away from the app or what--I haven't tested it.

Regardless, I wonder how this would play out on the iPad? Let's say I'm in an Accordance app on the iPad--if I left it to paste something in Pages, I'd want to come back right where I left off and the same would go for Pages, of course.

I wonder if it would be beneficial for the Accordance iPad app to have a small notepad built in, kind of like BibleWorks had when I used it in the nineties before moving to the Mac?

On another note, it would seem to me that the Accordance iPhone app and the Accordance iPad app would have to be significantly different from each other due to the different screen sizes. I could see having multiple panes and tabs in an iPad rendition of Accordance that wouldn't be possible on the iPhone.

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

Gear for running Accordance:

OS X

2012 15" MacBook Pro (retina) - 2.7 Ghz Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 750 GB SSD, Yosemite

Windows

2014 15.6" Acer R7-572 - 1.6 Ghz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB mSATA, 1 TB HDD, Windows 8.1

2013 8" Dell Venue 8 Pro - 1.33 Ghz Atom, 2 GB RAM, 64 GB eMMC, Windows 8.1

iOS

2014 iPhone 6 Plus, 128 GB, Verizon

2013 iPad Air, 128 GB, Verizon

#30 Daniel R

Daniel R

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:13 PM

I wonder if it would be beneficial for the Accordance iPad app to have a small notepad built in, kind of like BibleWorks had when I used it in the nineties before moving to the Mac?

Yes! Another reason why Accordance could use a full word processor.

#31 Chris Echols

Chris Echols

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:God stuff and Audio/Visual Stuff

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:49 PM

We are thinking hard....

I'm one of those in the camp who really haven't spent hundreds and maybe even thousands on modules, but I've found that I HAVE purchased a lot of modules for MantisBible Study for my iPhone. I hate lugging my big 4 version parallel to church. The Mantis People say they are definitely working on an iPad version of their software, but I am still interested to see what Accordance would do and how.

I'm also a big fan of YouVersion, so I can't wait to see what they plan to do as well, even though I know I'm getting the wifi version instead of the 3G version of the iPad. PLEASE, I beseech you my brethren to give us something...

I really wish they would change the name of this thing...

#32 Denes House

Denes House

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:11 PM

I'm a Star Trek fan, and on Trek, they've always carried around these notepad-sized computers with touchscreen capability that are networked to the main ship's computer. They are called PADDs, Personal Access Data Device. So I rather like the name iPad. :o)

Er, or is it iPadd?
Denes House
"When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost." --Rev. Billy Graham

#33 Chris Echols

Chris Echols

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:God stuff and Audio/Visual Stuff

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:34 PM

I'm a Star Trek fan, and on Trek, they've always carried around these notepad-sized computers with touchscreen capability that are networked to the main ship's computer. They are called PADDs, Personal Access Data Device. So I rather like the name iPad. :o)

Er, or is it iPadd?

And that may cause it to stick. I use a PADD interface on my iPhone as a matter of fact... (see attached photo) Can't wait to hack on a PADD interface on the iPADD.

Attached Files

#34 countach

countach

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:19 PM

Yes, a properly written ipad app will remember where it left off, which is a kind of rudimentary simulation of multi-tasking. So I'm not saying it is impossible to do "real work" on one, it would just be rather annoying for some things that involve flipping between Accordance and some other app. We had windowing OSes in the 80's and now it like we are back to DOS again with single tasking (although even they had TSR programs like Borland Sidekick that could popup any time).

Yeah I agree that a simple notepad inside such an app would potentially help, in that you could write a bunch of stuff and transfer it out in one hit. It would also be a way to transfer a bunch of stuff in (like a bunch of references to look up from another source).

#35 Brian Stiles

Brian Stiles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:45 PM

Accordance on the iPad would be fantastic! I have a significant commute by train and would absolutely love to be able to use Accordance on an iPad to put that time to good use.

I'm a 15 year software development veteran and would be more than happy to help by beta testing or whatever else I can do.

#36 Peter Maddison

Peter Maddison

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Family, Chess, Reading, Kingdom of God, Travel
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:47 AM

It would be wonderful to see a full implementation of Accordance on the iPad.

I was looking at purchasing a MB Air or MB for presentations that I have developed on an IMac. I will definitely go with an iPad. iPhone's are great but I believe that iPads will blitz the market, and contrary to what many have been saying in the market place I do believe the iPad will cannibalise the clam shell pc market. I know many people who only have a computer for the most basic things, and now that an iPad is a choice, it will meet many people's needs in the market, and I believe it will become the product of choice for that significant segment of the market. Putting Accordance in reach of this market will only strengthen the position of the best Bible software that exists. (In the future we will no doubt see iPad Pro's that will offer a more powerful platform than is being released today, extending the reach of the iPad)

My wife will also get an iPad. She belongs to that segment of the market that uses the computer for more basic things. Being able to introduce her to Accordance implemented on a touch screen would be a joy for her, as it would for my older teenage children.

Keep up the great work,

Kind regards
Peter

#37 dgarrett

dgarrett

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:My wife and toddlers, mountain biking, reading, writing, traveling, preaching, pastoring, theological studies at Harvard Divinity School

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:25 PM

Accordance + iPad = trip to the Apple Store. Period.

#38 BrianBowman

BrianBowman

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:The Mysteries of Christ, Holy Scripture, Patristic and Catholic Theology, Guitar, Classical Pilates, Software Engineering, Craftsman Architecture

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:48 PM

Having Accordance on the iPad with Browsing/Searching capability would be enough until Apple works out having multiple concurrent apps on the device. It would be just great to curl up with my most used subset of Accordance content on the iPad

#39 gplawhorn

gplawhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:27 PM

I'll add my vote for an iPad version of Accordance!

#40 danvdr

danvdr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:53 PM

We are thinking hard....

iThink Apple has really hit on to something here. With Accordance you could sit in church with parallel Bibles open and a commentary (to keep the preacher honest) and check sport scores when said preacher starts going to long....

And, as others have said, it would be nice not to have to repurchase everything.

So, don't think hard--Think Different. B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users