#41 Andy Crim

Andy Crim

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:16 PM

This is a chance to really think different because the iPad is actually the beginning of a new way of thinking when it comes to how we will interact with our computers.

Blogger Steven Frank puts it the best that I have read so far when he says:

A Bet on the Future

Apple is calling the iPad a “third category” between phones and laptops. I am increasingly convinced that this is just to make it palatable to you while everything shifts to New World ideology over the next 10-20 years.

Just like with floppy disks, the rest of the industry is quite content to let Apple be the ones to stick their necks out on this. It’s a gamble to be sure. But if Apple wins the gamble (so far it’s going well), they are going to be years and years ahead of their competition. If Apple loses the gamble, well, they have no debt and are sitting on a Fort Knox-like pile of cash. It’s not going to sink them.

The bet is roughly that the future of computing:

• has a UI model based on direct manipulation of data objects
• completely hides the filesystem from the user
• favors ease of use and reduction of complexity over absolute flexibility
• favors benefit to the end-user rather than the developer or other vendors
• lives atop built-to-specific-purpose native applications and universally available web apps

You can find the whole blog here: http://stevenf.tumbl...puters-ive-been (warning: some crude language in the full post)

He makes a strong case for the iPad as defining a new direction that will one day be looked back much as we see 1984 and the Macintosh.

Accordance has always set the standard for excellence in ease of use with power tools for Bible study. I am looking forward to what will come from the Accordance team.

#42 Paul Daunno

Paul Daunno

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Interests:The Bible / Reading books about the Bible / Gadgets & Technology / Woodworking / Photography
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:29 PM

I too would love to see support for Accordance on the iPad. I'm seriously considering one and having Accordance on it would solidify that decision for me. I'd rather not have to repurchase everything but would gladly pay a fee to get it.

Thanks,
-Paul

OS X Yosemite 10.10.1 - iMac Early 2008

iOS 8.1.2 - iPhone and iPad - Current iAccord Release

#43 Tom

Tom

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:27 PM

Hold your horses here. If I were Accordance, I would want to make sure all the time, energy and effort that I put into making a port of my program was going to work in the devices for the long hall.

The obvious question is what is the iPad going to be in a few years from now? Meaning, will it be using the operating system that drives the Apple's computers? In other words, how long will the iPad be based on the iPhone/iTouch OS? If the answer is for a good number of years, then by all means, commit to the development of such an application. But if it is going to be the "computer of the future" and eventually be using Apples OS (which I believe it is only a matter of time, like 3 to 5 years), then I am not sure I want Accordance sinking the man-hours into something that my laptop will do for now.

I will buy the iPad not for Accordance, but for other reasons.
I say, Accordance, think long and hard about the investment needed to bring about such a product and the longevity of the device it will be on.

Tom
B.S. (Education, Bryan College)
Th.M. (Systematic Theology, Dallas Seminary)
M.A., Ph.D. (Classical Philosophy, University of Dallas)
Pastor/Teacher

#44 Moondougie

Moondougie

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:27 PM

I'm not suggesting that Accordance be developed for the iPad so that Apple will sell an iPad. But I am saying that if there is an Accordance for iPad that lets me use the library I've already invested in for my Mac and haven't already bought an iPad, I will buy both an iPad, and more importantly for Accordance…Accordance for iPad!

Edited by Moondougie, 02 February 2010 - 04:58 PM.

#45 countach

countach

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:58 PM

"Meaning, will it be using the operating system that drives the Apple's computers? In other words, how long will the iPad be based on the iPhone/iTouch OS? If the answer is for a good number of years, then by all means, commit to the development of such an application. But if it is going to be the "computer of the future" and eventually be using Apples OS..."

80% of iPhone/iPad OS is the same as Mac OS. The 20% that is different is still of the same style, it is just graphical stuff optimised for a touch device. If anything, I could envisage Mac OS acquiring the extra APIs of iPhone if it gets a touch screen, but I doubt that iPad/iPhone is going to acquire the bits unique to the Mac. Certainly, I would bet my house they will never put Carbon UI on the iPad, which would be necessary to port Accordance as-is. More Cocoa-Mac perhaps, but not Carbon. Either way, I think both platforms are pretty much locked into what they are going to stay as, IMO.

The only question for Accordance is whether they think they can make money off it. I wouldn't want to be left behind if one of the competitors should jump into the ring, that's for sure. Well, it already is behind what with Logos for the iPhone. This could end up being a kind of must-have check-off item to compete in this space. I mean, the iPad is a reading device, and Accordance is all about books.

#46 RobM

RobM

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Hebrew, ANE languages and literature, Literary Theory
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:22 AM

Yes Accordance is about books, but not primarily. It is primarily about searching the Bible. I think an iPad version would need to be able to do many or all of the search functions the computer version can do now.

As for cost, I think it would be reasonable for Accordance to charge a minimal charge for the iPad version of Accordance while also allowing the user to use all of his/her purchased modules (I would expect the latter because they already let us install modules on multiple computers that are personally owned [e.g., home desktop and laptop]). The search engine of the full version is already inexpensive, so some sort of charge for an iPad version would be reasonable. That way Accordance would make something from their man hours of production. What do you think?

#47 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,667 posts
  • Interests:a good cup of coffee, sci-fi, playing bass, listing to jazz and the blues, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:59 AM

"Meaning, will it be using the operating system that drives the Apple's computers? In other words, how long will the iPad be based on the iPhone/iTouch OS?"

To my mind, this is the critical question for Accordance in the near future. I've not been particularly excited about the possibility of Accordance on the iPhone: the screen is just too small for anything more than a simple reader.

The iPad is an entirely different story. I could get some serious work done on that thing, especially with a ten hour battery life (though the lack of multi-tasking on the initial model is going to be a pain). However, there are already rumors of an upcoming "super iPad" using the Mac OSX. It's entirely possible, in my opinion, now that Apple owns its own chip factory. OK, now that would have me camping outside of an Apple store.

Meanwhile, does Accordance put its resources into porting [sorry, bad word] its software to the iPad w/iPhone OS? Or implement the [many] user requests for additional features and modules for the current platform? Even if they [we] do both, in what order? Which gets priority?

Glad I don't have to make these kinds of decisions. I just have to decide which podcast to do each week! :-)

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

Mac: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz Quad core, 16 GB RAM, Mercury 6G 480 SSD + 1.5 TB HD, OSX 10.10, Yosemite

iPhone 6 plus 64 GB iOS 8.1

#48 Tom

Tom

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:18 AM

"Meaning, will it be using the operating system that drives the Apple's computers? In other words, how long will the iPad be based on the iPhone/iTouch OS?"

To my mind, this is the critical question for Accordance in the near future. I've not been particularly excited about the possibility of Accordance on the iPhone: the screen is just too small for anything more than a simple reader.

Exactly. Accordance running on an iPad with an iPhone OS is going to be radically different than it running on an iPad with a Mac OS. It sounds like an iPad with a Mac OS is in the (maybe distant) future. As tempting as it may be to jump on the current iPad bandwagon, with Accordance's limited resources, it might be better to spend the time and effort on the current program and wait for the iPad Mac OS version. Does anyone really doubt that if the iPad takes off in popularity that it wouldn't have a MacOS in some future version??!! Also, by holding off on development, it gives you the benefit of waiting and seeing if the iPad turns out to be a "iPod" in popularity or an "AppleTV" in popularity."

Tom
PS. Or Mac Cube, or Newton, or . . .

Edited by Tom, 03 February 2010 - 10:20 AM.

B.S. (Education, Bryan College)
Th.M. (Systematic Theology, Dallas Seminary)
M.A., Ph.D. (Classical Philosophy, University of Dallas)
Pastor/Teacher

#49 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,667 posts
  • Interests:a good cup of coffee, sci-fi, playing bass, listing to jazz and the blues, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:49 AM

New rumors surfaced this morning about a future iPad with a Mac OS, the "MacTablet:" http://www.redmondpi...s-year-9140416/

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

Mac: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz Quad core, 16 GB RAM, Mercury 6G 480 SSD + 1.5 TB HD, OSX 10.10, Yosemite

iPhone 6 plus 64 GB iOS 8.1

#50 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:04 AM

New rumors surfaced this morning about a future iPad with a Mac OS, the "MacTablet:" http://www.redmondpi...s-year-9140416/

Of course, an OS X tablet is available now for Axiotron: http://www.axiotron....dex.php?id=home

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

Gear for running Accordance:

OS X

2012 15" MacBook Pro (retina) - 2.7 Ghz Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 750 GB SSD, Yosemite

Windows

2014 15.6" Acer R7-572 - 1.6 Ghz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB mSATA, 1 TB HDD, Windows 8.1

2013 8" Dell Venue 8 Pro - 1.33 Ghz Atom, 2 GB RAM, 64 GB eMMC, Windows 8.1

iOS

2014 iPhone 6 Plus, 128 GB, Verizon

2013 iPad Air, 128 GB, Verizon

#51 Denes House

Denes House

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:11 AM

The Axiotron doesn't look like it's got touchscreen functionality, tho. It's stylus-based, and built on the shell of an existing MacBook.
Denes House
"When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost." --Rev. Billy Graham

#52 Chuck Schneider

Chuck Schneider

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:19 PM

It occurred to me a few days ago that the iPad would be the perfect way to hand Accordance to someone who suffers from the Windows handicap. ;)
OSX Yosemite
Version 10.10
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB

iPad Air 2 iOS 8.1

128 GB

#53 Robb Brunansky

Robb Brunansky

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:17 PM

It doesn't seem like an Accordance reader on the iPad with some basic search functionality would take a ton of resources, especially if they already have an iPhone developer working on something for the iPhone. I have a feeling iPhone OS and OS X are going to come together and be much more similar in OS 11. I don't think Jony Ives comment, something to the effect, "Really, this defines the direction for us of the future," on the end of the iPad video, was incidental. This is where Apple, and computing, is going.

One more thing: Putting Accordance on the iPad would likely bring some new customers in as well, and it would spur some current customers to buy modules they wouldn't have bought before, because now they can read those modules on the iPad. I, for one, would be more likely to purchase modules that are less reference-like in nature if I could read them on the iPad.

Edited by Robb Brunansky, 17 February 2010 - 02:18 PM.

Soli Deo Gloria,
Robb Brunansky

#54 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts
  • Interests:I like things that are Orange, and possibly Blue.

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:51 PM

Bible Reader is soooo aggressively developed, and publicly so. It is a difficult product space in that regard. Still, I think leveraging the libraries that folks already have with Accordance can make a difference. Also, innovation, innovation, innovation in terms of UI and user experience is essential for a new arrival in the iPhone/iPad OS space.
Joe Weaks
The Macintosh Biblioblog

Sometimes I'm so helpful even I can't stand it.

#55 Andy Crim

Andy Crim

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:33 PM

One problem I anticipate is that the iPad will be in our hands in about 5 weeks and then what to do?

From day one Bible Reader will likely be ready with an app especially designed for the iPad. How long will it be before an elementary form of Accordance will be available for the iPad? We don't need much functionality to begin with, but it sure would be nice to scroll through a passage in multiple translations and see instant details.

I have already put some money into Bible Reader on the iPhone with Hebrew and Greek, some commentaries and ESV study bible. I use it all the time - not for heavy lifting, but for on the go kinds of things.

Will I continue to reluctantly add essential pieces, duplicating what I already own in Accordance just so I can enjoy the portability of another device, or will I wait for Accordance to announce something for the iPad?

Also, I agree with you Rob that John Ives meant what he said.

The iPad is the beginning of a proliferation of easier to use devices loaded with easier to use software targeted to the average person. This means that there is a large number of potential users (not scholars) that Oak Tree could add to their existing user base if they are early to get something on the market for reading that has the hallmarks of Accordance ease of use for simpler tasks.

But then, maybe they would be better off to leave these users to Logos and Olive Tree.

#56 FireDude2894

FireDude2894

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:31 PM

We are thinking hard....

Nothing against the fine folks at Logos, but I will hold out for the Accordance iPhone/iPod/iPad app. Here's another vote in the affirmative!
In fact, put me down as a beta tester.
You haven't really lived until you've found something worth dying for.

#57 Robb Brunansky

Robb Brunansky

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:25 AM

I'd love to see Accordance find its way into a review like this: http://www.4-14.org....ee-biblereader. I see so many ways Accordance could combine the best of each of these mobile apps and leap ahead of everyone else in the market.
Soli Deo Gloria,
Robb Brunansky

#58 akpearson

akpearson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:07 PM

I have already put some money into Bible Reader on the iPhone with Hebrew and Greek, some commentaries and ESV study bible. I use it all the time - not for heavy lifting, but for on the go kinds of things.

Will I continue to reluctantly add essential pieces, duplicating what I already own in Accordance just so I can enjoy the portability of another device, or will I wait for Accordance to announce something for the iPad?

With Apple finally announcing the actual ship date of the iPad, I'm finding myself really anxious to get my hands on one - but one of the things that piques my interest the most about it is being able to use the iPad to see multiple translations at once while at church. I currently accomplish that by using my physical ESV, and getting to the GNT under Kindle for iPhone.

The problem there is that I get no helps at all with the GNT under Kindle - I'm left to remember my vocabulary myself (oh, the horrors!) and try to make sure I'm not confusing all those darn verb endings.

I started doing some research this weekend to see what options I'll have on April 3 when I unwrap my shiny new iPad, and ran across the Olive Tree BibleReader app, but I'm going to have a really hard time convincing myself that I need to spend *another* $100 to purchase those two books that I already have... I mean, I've already purchased them in hardcopy, in Kindle format, and for Accordance. Do I really need a fourth version?

I really hope that Accordance decides that the iPad is worth developing for, and makes an announcement before April 3 so I know whether to hold out, or whether I'm going to have to settle for second-best and shell out more money to repurchase titles I already own for yet another format.

#59 Robb Brunansky

Robb Brunansky

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:23 PM

OakTree has already announced they have an iPhone developer, so I think it's safe to assume an iPhone app is coming sooner rather than later. Even if they don't have an iPad specific app in the near future, you'll be able to use the iPhone app on the iPad. At least, that's what I'm banking on.
Soli Deo Gloria,
Robb Brunansky

#60 revtim

revtim

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:discipling, loving my wife and family, preaching, & technology
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:11 PM

OakTree has already announced they have an iPhone developer, so I think it's safe to assume an iPhone app is coming sooner rather than later. Even if they don't have an iPad specific app in the near future, you'll be able to use the iPhone app on the iPad. At least, that's what I'm banking on.

Did I miss the announcement?
In Christ,

Tim Hall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users