Photo

Linking Greek and Hebrew Texts

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: Linking Greek and Hebrew Texts

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Would it serve you to be able to link a Hebrew text and a Greek text together in one pane?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 D.S.Moses Nickerson

D.S.Moses Nickerson

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Philology, Church Planting, Homiletics/Rhetoric.
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:12 AM

As a user of a 13 inch MacBook Pro, screen real estate is precious when I am away from my external display. Currently I have to either keep text three dedicated panes open, one with the GNT, one with the Septuagint, and one with Hebrew. I then use an English version (that has the full canon) to run verse based searches with in order to have the original text displayed alongside whatever resources I am using. I would love to see an option where I could link a Greek text and a Hebrew text together so that they would span the canon and only display in one pane. This is of course a little picky, but it would be oh so convenient to be able to keep an extra resource or two out on the screen instead of having to dedicate panes that just display nothing when you are in the wrong testament.

Edited by D.S.Moses Nickerson, 08 March 2010 - 11:13 AM.

M.Div Student at RTS Charlotte
Leadership Training Coordinator
North Hills Community Church

#2 RobM

RobM

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Interests:Hebrew, ANE languages and literature, Literary Theory
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:28 PM

As a user of a 13 inch MacBook Pro, screen real estate is precious when I am away from my external display. Currently I have to either keep text three dedicated panes open, one with the GNT, one with the Septuagint, and one with Hebrew. I then use an English version (that has the full canon) to run verse based searches with in order to have the original text displayed alongside whatever resources I am using. I would love to see an option where I could link a Greek text and a Hebrew text together so that they would span the canon and only display in one pane. This is of course a little picky, but it would be oh so convenient to be able to keep an extra resource or two out on the screen instead of having to dedicate panes that just display nothing when you are in the wrong testament.

This request has been made before. As I recall, this request can't be done because of language change issues and because the two modules (GNT-T and BHS-W4) are just that two modules and cannot be combined because they are produced and copyrighted by different organizations (e.g., BHS-W4 belongs to Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft, Stuttgart and the morphological tagging by the J. Alan Groves Center for Advanced Biblical Research).

There are various ways you can try to work around this, but none are as satisfying as having what you are asking for. For your needs, you probably could just change the pane back and forth from BHS-W4 to GNT-T depending on whether you're in the OT or NT.

Edited by RobM, 08 March 2010 - 12:28 PM.

#3 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:47 PM

Actually we are planning to allow dual texts in a pane, in the next major rev, but it's a ways away.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#4 Fr. Rich

Fr. Rich

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:My grandchildren
    Being an effective parish priest at Christ the King Episcopal
    Church in Huntington< Indiana
    Fly fishing

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:31 PM

Which testament is the wrong testament? Are there any seminaries (or universities) with a department of wrong testament studies? This discovery opens many possibilities.
Rich+
Rich Miller
Priest in Charge
Christ the King Episcopal Church
Huntington, Indiana

Labor mediator and arbitrator

#5 D.S.Moses Nickerson

D.S.Moses Nickerson

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Philology, Church Planting, Homiletics/Rhetoric.
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:57 PM

Which testament is the wrong testament? Are there any seminaries (or universities) with a department of wrong testament studies? This discovery opens many possibilities.
Rich+

I really hope you are kidding. :rolleyes:
M.Div Student at RTS Charlotte
Leadership Training Coordinator
North Hills Community Church

#6 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:a good cup of coffee, sci-fi, playing bass, listing to jazz and the blues, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:00 AM

I really hope you are kidding. :rolleyes:

LOL! :D

I've always just had to chuckle whenever I see Christian colleges offering degrees in "Christian Studies." Makes me wonder if they should also offer degrees in "Pagan Studies," just to keep everything in balance!

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz Quad core, 16 GB RAM, Mercury 6G 480 SSD + 1.5 TB HD, OSX 10.10, Yosemite

iPhone 6 plus 64 GB iOS 8.1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users