2 replies to this topic

#1 Jason

Jason

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:05 AM

First off let me say I'm not sure if this is a bug or a functionality I don't understand.

I use Accordance 8.4.6 on a MBP 10.6.3.

I am new to Accordance so I've been working through the pod casts. In 3.2 Dr J talks about searching using "6" in the ESVS.

I tried using 2, which gives this as it's first hit:

Ex. 27:1 ¶ “You shall make the altar of acacia wood, five cubits long and five cubits broad. The altar shall be square, and its height shall be three cubits.

I cannot find the number 2 in here anywhere. So, I thought I'd try other versions, all gave Ex. 27:1 as the first hit. Of the versions I have NLT-SE shows 1/2 and HCSB shows 1 2, while the CJB shows half. Other hits down the list are similar.

I'm curious how the number 2 will result in Ex 27:1 in ESVS when it doesn't have a 2 or two or half in it.

FYI, in ESVS 4, 6-8 also come up with strange results. Is Accordance converting things like cubits into feet and shekels into pounds and giving results accordingly?

I know it's an odd question, but that's par for the course for me ;)

-Jason

#2 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,088 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:41 AM

I am not sure what the podcast suggests. I think you need to look at how the different versions handle numbers, but first check your search text. I think you are searching the HCSB (look at the top left pull-down menu).

Most versions write out all their numbers. The ESV does use numerals for large numbers like 70, but it will not let me search for 2 or 6. The HCSB is the only version I looked at which converts the measurements to numerals and fractions:

Ex. 27.1 ¶ "You are to construct the altar of acacia wood. The altar must be square, 71⁄2 feet long, and 71⁄2 feet wide; it must be 41⁄2 feet high.

Now your search for 2 is finding the 2 in the half. I am not sure how Accordance is succeeding in displaying the fractions, but it does not let me search them accurately. I think it is superscripting the upper fraction which takes it out of the text for search purposes, but makes it look really pretty. It's a compromise which must have been made for this one translation.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#3 Jason

Jason

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:18 AM

Ok, I get it now. I was changing the version in the results window, not the search window. That explains a lot of things.

Thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users