#1 miqraot

miqraot

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 24 November 2005 - 01:25 PM

Nowadays, I tried to find Cohortative verbs through Accordance.
Because I wanted to test the accuracy of searching ability of this program.

According to

Paul JoŁon and T. Muraoka, ed., A Crammar of Biblical HebreóPart One: Orthography and Phonetics & Part Two: Morphology (vol. 14[1] Subsidia Biblica; ed. Paul JoŁon; Roma: Editrice Pontificio Istituto Biblico, 1996), 138.

It is written:
"Only rarely do we find in the 3rd person the ה of the cohortative; the three examples in Is 5.19 (Two) and Job 11:17."

So, I made searching fomular as below:

[VERB imperfect third (cohortativeHeh, cohortativeBoth, cohortativeForm, cohortativeMeaning)]

The result was 5 times.

[Question1] There are many chohortative options: cohortativeHeh, cohortativeBoth, cohortativeForm, cohortativeMeaning. What is different between them?

[Question2] What is the problem of my fomular?
P.O.Box 24094 Mt.Scopus, Jerusalem 91240, ISRAEL
ICKSANG LEE

#2 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,427 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 24 November 2005 - 09:47 PM

If you enter cohortative in the search box of the Help, it takes you to Hebrew and Aramaic Verbs (in the Reference section), and offers this help:

The cohortative form is typically the imperfect form with an added heh.

The cohortative meaning is used to express a command in the first person Ė that is, the speaker is expressing a strong desire for himself or for his companions. In the singular, the cohortative has the effect of expressing personal resolve; for example: "I will go." In the plural, the cohortative expresses an exhortation by the speaker to his companions; for example: "Let us go."

The cohortative both tag is used when a cohortative form also carries a cohortative meaning.

The cohortative Heh tag was used in older databases for the cohortative form with or without the meaning.

Maybe, after the Thanksgiving holiday, someone with more understanding of Hebrew grammar can shed more light on this issue.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#3 Martin Shields

Martin Shields

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 24 November 2005 - 10:16 PM

What is puzzling here is that you get any results at all. Cohortatives are (as Helen's post of the Help indicates) first-person forms. Your search specified third-person forms. AFAIK volitional forms in the third-person are typically labelled "jussive" and "cohortative" is reserved for first-person forms.

I also see the five results, perhaps Helen can check the new version of BHS-W4 to see if the search returns different results.

#4 miqraot

miqraot

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 28 November 2005 - 08:17 AM

AFAIK volitional forms in the third-person are typically labelled "jussive" and "cohortative" is reserved for first-person forms.

Yes, it is true, and you are right.
Generally, student think these fomular: 1st person-cohortative, 2nd person-imperative, 3rd person-jussive.

But, there are some exceptionóthird person cohortative heióin the Bible as I mentioned in the first posted topic , and I tried to the exceptions through Accordance.

p.s. I searched in BHS-W4.
P.O.Box 24094 Mt.Scopus, Jerusalem 91240, ISRAEL
ICKSANG LEE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users