• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Hebrew, Tanakh, Bible
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:40 AM

When I look at Psalms 126 in the JPS translation, it appears as:

Psalms 126.1
  A song of ascents. When the LORD restores the fortunes of Zion —we see it as in a dream— 2 our mouths shall be filled with laughter, our tongues, with songs of joy. Then shall they say among the nations, “The LORD has done great things for them!” 3 The LORD will do great things for us and we shall rejoice.

Psalms 126.4
  Restore our fortunes, O LORD, like watercourses in the Negeb. 5 They who sow in tears shall reap with songs of joy. 6 Though he goes along weeping, carrying the seed-bag, he shall come back with songs of joy, carrying his sheaves.

Is there a way to set the Book Name reference so it only appears at the beginning of each chapter, rather than preceding each paragraph?
David Krishef
Congregation Ahavas Israel
Grand Rapids, MI

#2 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 7,971 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 01:49 PM

For any window there are display options available in the first item in the Display menu. In this case, set the Reference display to Omit Book Name, and I think it will do what you want. There are many other options, too. You can set these as the default for the current text, or use Preferences to make them the default for all new text panes.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#3 DavidKrishef

DavidKrishef

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Hebrew, Tanakh, Bible

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:46 PM

Helen - you didn't read my note carefully. I want the Book/Verse reference - I just don't want it to appear both at the beginning and in the middle of the chapter. Can that be done? Or is this a request for a future release?
David Krishef
Congregation Ahavas Israel
Grand Rapids, MI

#4 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 7,971 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:32 PM

Did you try the option? that is exactly what it does.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#5 jpkang

jpkang

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:Comparative Semitics; ancient Hebrew semantics; Hebrew syntax; history and religion of ancient Israel; history of interpretation.

Posted 07 January 2006 - 01:46 AM

Helen - you didn't read my note carefully. I want the Book/Verse reference - I just don't want it to appear both at the beginning and in the middle of the chapter. Can that be done? Or is this a request for a future release?

David, I can confirm the behavior you're seeing with the NRSV module, when viewed in paragraph mode--one would normally only want the Book name before the first cited verse of a range.

NRSV:

Psa. 126.0
  A Song of Ascents.
1 When the Lord restored the fortunes of Zion,
we were like those who dream.
2 Then our mouth was filled with laughter,
and our tongue with shouts of joy;
then it was said among the nations,
“The Lord has done great things for them.”
3 The Lord has done great things for us,
and we rejoiced.

Psa. 126.4
   Restore our fortunes, O Lord,
like the watercourses in the Negeb.
5 May those who sow in tears
reap with shouts of joy.
6 Those who go out weeping,
bearing the seed for sowing,
shall come home with shouts of joy,
carrying their sheaves.

Edited by jpkang, 07 January 2006 - 01:47 AM.

J. P. Kang, Ph.D. (Bible)

#6 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 7,971 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 07:49 AM

You are both correct that in Paragraph display the verse reference display you have selected appears at the head of each paragraph. This probably dates back to the beginning of Accordance when the texts did not have paragraphs, and the display option was called Continuous, and did in fact break at each chapter.

Right now you cannot choose the option you suggest, and adding it as an option means a change in the interface. I am not sure that our users would want us to change this for everyone. We've been doing it this way for 12 years, and this is the first time the issue has been raised. ;)

You do have the option to copy as citation which pastes the text like this:

“ A song of ascents. When the LORD restores the fortunes of Zion — we see it as in a dream — our mouths shall be filled with laughter, our tongues, with songs of joy. Then shall they say among the nations, “The LORD has done great things for them!” The LORD will do great things for us and we shall rejoice.
Restore our fortunes, O LORD, like watercourses in the Negeb. They who sow in tears shall reap with songs of joy. Though he goes along weeping, carrying the seed-bag, he shall come back with songs of joy, carrying his sheaves. ”
(Psa. 126:1-6, JPS)
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users