#1 Tom Wagler

Tom Wagler

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:00 PM

Hello, I was doing a reference search in all tools and noticed that Holman had numerous errors in it's results. While doing a search for Ex. 12:6 it returned very few relevant hits, and at the same time return numerous irrelevant results. See two examples in screenshot.
Thanks, Tom

Attached Files

Edited by Tom Wagler, 27 November 2010 - 11:01 PM.

#2 jpkang

jpkang

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:Comparative Semitics; ancient Hebrew semantics; Hebrew syntax; history and religion of ancient Israel; history of interpretation.

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:40 PM

I don't know if it's an issue with the resolution of the screenshot, but those are clearly chapter ranges (so there should be a dash between the two numbers), and Accordance will find any citation that contains your verse.

If you want an exact match, you need to prepend an equals sign, like so:

=Exod 12:6
J. P. Kang, Ph.D. (Bible)

#3 Tom Wagler

Tom Wagler

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:50 PM

I don't know if it's an issue with the resolution of the screenshot, but those are clearly chapter ranges (so there should be a dash between the two numbers), and Accordance will find any citation that contains your verse.

If you want an exact match, you need to prepend an equals sign, like so:

=Exod 12:6

Thanks, that explains it. It appears like it is indeed supposed to be chapter ranges, but the dashes are missing. I assumed that the colon was missing, never thought about the possibility of it being a dash. My next question is...since this is not a screen resolution issue, is this unique to my copy of Holman Dictionary? If not maybe this is something that could be rectified in a future update?

Thanks, Tom

#4 jpkang

jpkang

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:Comparative Semitics; ancient Hebrew semantics; Hebrew syntax; history and religion of ancient Israel; history of interpretation.

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:35 AM

What happens if you change your font size or face?
J. P. Kang, Ph.D. (Bible)

#5 Tom Wagler

Tom Wagler

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:47 AM

What happens if you change your font size or face?

Wow! Right again. The font I was using was MgOpen Cosmetica and after changing to Arial the dashes appeared.  ;) Thanks for you prompt helpfulness. Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users