9 replies to this topic

#1 Rick

Rick

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:18 AM

Seems like a lot of brown bars throughout the app. It's kind of heavy on the eyes.
Attached File  Pastebot 2010-12-31 10.03.00 AM.png   174.97KB   56 downloads
Attached File  Pastebot 2010-12-31 09.43.53 AM.png   198.8KB   40 downloads

#2 Darko

Darko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:30 AM

That was my first impression, too.

#3 Rod Decker

Rod Decker

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:29 PM

Seems like a lot of brown bars throughout the app. It's kind of heavy on the eyes.

I don't mind the brown bars, but the buttons need to be more distinct. A black button = active, but with a dark brown button next to it, it's hard to tell which is the active setting.
Rodney J. Decker, ThD
Professor of NT & Greek
Baptist Bible Seminary
NTResources.com/blog/

#4 Darko

Darko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:41 PM

I don't mind the brown bars, but the buttons need to be more distinct. A black button = active, but with a dark brown button next to it, it's hard to tell which is the active setting.

That is true, too.
But, listen to us, how spoiled we are! I'd just like to say that the app is great, and the search possibilities are unexpectable. I'm so happy with what i have on my iPod now.
And I'm not sure that it was a good idea for the Accordance people to release the iOS app on New Year's Eve. They are going to spend the night answering the questions here.

#5 Guntis

Guntis

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Theology, music, art,  gadgets, photography, etc... Enjoy reading good books.

Posted 31 December 2010 - 03:11 PM

It's clear that Olive Tree for their Bible Reader 5 got inspiration from the Apple iBooks app. Actually I like their approach as it builds on familiarity with the other e-text reading app. And UI colors are much lighter too. The only thing I'm missing there is black popup windows from Bible Reader 4.

All day long I'm thinking what would have been if Oak Tree had made agreement with the Olive Tree and made Accordance resources available in Bible Reader format, Olive Tree would have added "Sync with your Accordance account" section in the Library window, and we would have excellent Bible app with both Accordance modules and cheaper Olive Tree modules (only for iOS hardware). Accordance team would have free time to concentrate on their Mac desktop version, Olive Tree wouldn't have another competitor… All would win, including end users.

Attached Files

“Teach the way of God in Accordance” (Matt 12:14, NIV-Accordance edition)
“Those who live in Accordance (with the Spirit) have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.” (Rom 8:5, NIV-Accordance edition)

#6 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,223 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 03:29 PM

We have an excellent relationship with OliveTree, but there was no way to have them access Accordance modules. It's just not that simple, our modules have a lot of extra value built into them and thus a very complex structure as well as powerful search capabilities.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#7 Rod Decker

Rod Decker

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 03:58 PM

All day long I'm thinking what would have been if Oak Tree had made agreement with the Olive Tree and made Accordance resources available in Bible Reader format, Olive Tree would have added "Sync with your Accordance account" section in the Library window, and we would have excellent Bible app with both Accordance modules and cheaper Olive Tree modules (only for iOS hardware). Accordance team would have free time to concentrate on their Mac desktop version, Olive Tree wouldn't have another competitor… All would win, including end users.

I would not want to be limited by the search interface and capabilities of OliveTree. This would not have been a win for Accordance users unless OT put in as much time as the Accord folks have to redesign the search capabilties. Besides, OT tries to keep things going on multiple platforms, and we may have lost some/many the iOS unique features. As a simple reader with some basic parsing, etc., OT is ok, but I've not been impressed with the other features as implemented. Already the v. 1 Accord app has a better search interface and capabilities. Perhaps next fall would be a good time to have another SBL shootout, but this time limited to mobile apps!
Rodney J. Decker, ThD
Professor of NT & Greek
Baptist Bible Seminary
NTResources.com/blog/

#8 Rick

Rick

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:44 PM

I have a buddy who works for a major Christian publishing house (if I said the name you would definitely know it) and they've done a similar thing to what you're saying with all their Bible apps. Basically, they contracted another company to write their apps. My friend says that this has lead to a squelching of creative and unique ideas from both sides of the partnership. Fun ideas the developers come up with, the publisher doesn't like, and vice versa. Their apps are decent enough (my guess is most Accordance users have at least one of them installed on their iPhone), but lack any innovative "wow" features that many indie apps have.

For me, I would prefer that Accordance for iOS stays in-house. It gives them creative liberty, which I think we already see peeking through some of the corners of this iOS 1.0 release. The speed continues to amaze me, and I'm sure someone brilliant is responsible for that. My hope is that going forward, they make some equally brilliant strides with the UI (arrangement of buttons, the brown bars, and transitions.)

#9 Alex H.

Alex H.

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:26 PM

We have an excellent relationship with OliveTree, but there was no way to have them access Accordance modules. It's just not that simple, our modules have a lot of extra value built into them and thus a very complex structure as well as powerful search capabilities.

Thanks for that explanation Helen, my hope had been some kind of partnership but I can see how it would have been a second-best solution.

www.alexhuggett.me

#10 Kogame

Kogame

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:35 AM

In response to the original post, I also think that the heavy brown bars take up too much space on the screen. I would prefer a lighter interface with thinner line. In the end I want as much screen space as possible for the texts and tools.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users