• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guntis

Guntis

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Theology, music, art,  gadgets, photography, etc... Enjoy reading good books.
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:59 AM

Hi,
I intered in search:
John <AND> <NOT> baptist
Got some results. Scrolled to Matt 21:32, read it, and was interested to read full context. So I started to figure out how I can exit search results and go back to the full Bible text. First thing I tapped on the bottom right button, new screen opened with the verse chooser, already at Matt 21:32. Naturally I tapped on Go To button, expecting to open Bible text to that verse. Wrong. I'm back in the search results list. Opened Search entry and deleted search query. Tapped on Cancel button, back in the search results list. Finally changed Bible translation, that helped, but it opened to Gen 1:1…
“Teach the way of God in Accordance” (Matt 12:14, NIV-Accordance edition)
“Those who live in Accordance (with the Spirit) have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.” (Rom 8:5, NIV-Accordance edition)

#2 Jim Appleby

Jim Appleby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:56 AM

Hi,
I intered in search:
John <AND> <NOT> baptist
Got some results. Scrolled to Matt 21:32, read it, and was interested to read full context. So I started to figure out how I can exit search results and go back to the full Bible text. First thing I tapped on the bottom right button, new screen opened with the verse chooser, already at Matt 21:32. Naturally I tapped on Go To button, expecting to open Bible text to that verse. Wrong. I'm back in the search results list. Opened Search entry and deleted search query. Tapped on Cancel button, back in the search results list. Finally changed Bible translation, that helped, but it opened to Gen 1:1…

I had the same problem with a different search. I think the keyboard covers another button or two helpful to the situation... there was some convoluted way to work around it to prevent the keyboard from remaining up when not wanted, but I can't remember what it was.

#3 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,577 posts
  • Interests:a good cup of coffee, sci-fi, playing bass, listing to jazz and the blues, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:58 AM

Hi,
I intered in search:
John <AND> <NOT> baptist

Interesting.... I agree there ought to be a simple way to do that. It looks like the app stays in search mode once it is used, even once the search terms are cleared. I suspect we need to add a dbl-click function to verses to restore it to displaying the full text. For now, you can select verses and type an asterisk (*) in the search field—or use the library icon and just reselect the text.

[As one of the beta testers, I kept pushing the advanced features. It's odd I/we missed something so simple!]

As far as seeing the entire context, here's a workaround for now. Click the search icon again. Select "More" and then "Options." Change "Add context" to "All" (or whatever number of verses you want). When you click the search icon again, it will redo the search, this time showing the entire Bible, but with the same hits marked. Use the navigation arrows to move between hits. [I suspect this mode may fit you better overall.]

Thanks!

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz Quad core, 16 GB RAM, Mercury 6G 480 SSD + 1.5 TB HD, OSX 10.10, Yosemite

iPhone 6 plus 64 GB iOS 8.1

#4 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:59 AM

I'm not sure about the keyboard problem, but the easiest way to see context is to add it to the search. Under the Options for the search, just switch to add all context and use the up/down arrows to navigate your results.
  • stephan likes this
Joel Brown

By day: Consultant for Oaktree
By night: Freelance Trombonist and Private Instructor

#5 stephan

stephan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:55 PM

I'm not sure about the keyboard problem, but the easiest way to see context is to add it to the search. Under the Options for the search, just switch to add all context and use the up/down arrows to navigate your results.

I agree with you.
This app is very nice. Thanks!!
But I want to access to full text page from search page quickly.

#6 Jim Appleby

Jim Appleby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:04 PM

Thanks for the add context tip Joel. That solves the functional issue. As far as form though... is there a one or two tap way to exit search mode and return to browsing the currently open module? Goto seems to leave the search results highlighted and marked, and going to the library to re-open the module requires a tap, a swipe or two, and a tap and is counterintuitive, since you’re already in the desired module.

#7 shawn smith

shawn smith

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:32 AM

I've been pointing this out from day one of the beta, but the powers that be have been ignoring me from day one.
Shawn

#8 Guntis

Guntis

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Theology, music, art,  gadgets, photography, etc... Enjoy reading good books.

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:46 PM

I've been pointing this out from day one of the beta, but the powers that be have been ignoring me from day one.
Shawn

Two suggestions here: once I open verse chooser and tap on the Go To button, please discard search mode and really do Go To that verse and show full context. That's just so intuitive and natural.

Secondly, even while in the search mode, I can tap-and-hold on any Bible reference (2Mac. 7:20) and get "New Note" pop-up button. Could you add there another button — "Open in Context" or "Go To"? That would also solve this issue.

If you really need, you can add necessary changes in search options or whatever, I just need to switch from search to the full Bible text, and maybe even don't care about my search results list anymore… I've found what I've been looking for, and want to read the text in its context. Without digging in search options. ;)

Edited by Guntis, 13 January 2011 - 03:48 PM.

“Teach the way of God in Accordance” (Matt 12:14, NIV-Accordance edition)
“Those who live in Accordance (with the Spirit) have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.” (Rom 8:5, NIV-Accordance edition)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users