Which module to buy for Greek NT Theology Dictionary?

rborden

Hi,

I am a new user to Accordance and must say I love it! I just came back from my local book store and I happen to come across the Zondervan New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology

Abridged Edition by Dr. Verlyn Verbrugge. Here is a clipping of the synopsis "An abridged edition of the New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology

I'd recommend the New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology or TDNT Little Kittel. The latter is less expensive, but the former will provide more information than TDNT and the abridged edition you mentioned.

Robb Brunansky

www.cbcwichita.org

I agree that for Greek the New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology, ed. by Colin Brown, pub. by Zondervan, (NIDNTT) is your best choice. Despite the similarity in titles it is not the same as the book you found. It is 4 volumes in print, but quite accessible for the lay person. The OT equivalent (NIDOTTE) is more technical, and for OT non-Hebrew scholars I recommend Theological Wordbook of the OT (TWOT) by Waltke and O'Connor.

The names are all so confusing, even more so as they change from edition to edition. For example, our New International Encyclopedia of Bible Words on the Zondervan Personal Growth Bible Study Suite is an excellent modern equivalent of Vine's (OT and NT), and used to be titled Zondervan Expository Dictionary of Bible Words.

I have all the volumes under discussion, but I think the abridged edition by Verbrugge has a lot going for it. I think it is a much more useful tool for the average pastor. It keeps the most important data from the original Colin Brown edition; it has a much more useful arrangement by Greek word, rather than English; and the modifications and additions by Verbrugge make it much more of an evangelical work, in my opinion. After BDAG, I think it is the next best tool of this kind for the average evangelical pastor.

Bill Combs

Detroit Baptist Theological Seminary

You may well be correct, Bill, but it is not available on Accordance, and Accordance makes it so easy to look up the Greek words in NIDNTT, whether from a Greek text or a Key number text.

Thank you all for your input and taking the time to give me guidance. I will do a little online research concerning the mentioned tools by everyone and I do want an Accordance module. I still love the "old hardback" books but having in Accordance saves huge amounts of time not to mention I can cover a lot a ground quickly by searching.

Thanks,

Richard Borden

Archived