Search in GNT-T for Prohibitory Subjunctives -- "οὐ μὴ" followed by an aorist subjunctive verb -- yields inaccurate results

Michael Nazarian

I am trying to search for all occurrences of οὐ μὴ followed by any aorist subjunctive verb, this general construction is otherwise known as the Prohibitory Subjunctive.

Here is the search string I have been playing around with in Accordance:

"οὐ μὴ" <FOLLOWED BY> <WITHIN 3 WORDS> [VERB -(aorist, 2aorist) -subjunctive]

The problem is that this search does not even closely yield the expected results -- all occurrences of οὐ μὴ followed by an aorist subjunctive. Instead it seems to yield οὐ μὴ followed only by future actives, middles and passives, all in the indicative mood.

I know for a fact that my search results should include Mark 10:15:

Mark 10:15 ἀμὴν λέγω ὑμῖν, ὃς ἂν μὴ δέξηται τὴν βασιλείαν τοῦ θεοῦ ὡς παιδίον,
οὐ μὴ εἰσέλθῃ
εἰς αὐτήν.

This verse does not even show up in my search results, but I get verses like Matt. 15:6 where οὐ μὴ shows up, but without any aorist subjunctive at all.

Matt. 15:6
οὐ μὴ
τιμήσει τὸν πατέρα αὐτοῦ

I am trying to search for all occurrences of οὐ μὴ followed by any aorist subjunctive verb, this general construction is otherwise known as the Prohibitory Subjunctive.

Here is the search string I have been playing around with in Accordance:

"οὐ μὴ" <FOLLOWED BY> <WITHIN 3 WORDS> [VERB -(aorist, 2aorist) -subjunctive]

The minus signs are telling Accordance to search for exactly the opposite to what you want to find. The search syntax is more like this:

ου μη <FOLLOWED BY> <WITHIN 3 WORDS> [VERB (2aorist, aorist) subjunctive]

Note that you don't need to use quotes around the Greek in this case. Just look for the lemmas (Search - Insert Lemmas) and then the tag VERB with the tense and mood you're after. That's all!

HTH.

Thanks SO MUCH Ruben, I feel like such a noob, but I guess this is how you learn... :rolleyes:

The minus signs are telling Accordance to search for exactly the opposite to what you want to find. The search syntax is more like this:

ου μη <FOLLOWED BY> <WITHIN 3 WORDS> [VERB (2aorist, aorist) subjunctive]

Note that you don't need to use quotes around the Greek in this case. Just look for the lemmas (Search - Insert Lemmas) and then the tag VERB with the tense and mood you're after. That's all!

HTH.

Michael, how did you arrive at the syntax you did? I'm assuming you entered the details you wanted using the Enter Tag Details dialog box, and that you checked the checkboxes which appeared to the left of the pop-ups for tense and mood. If you look down below where those checkboxes appear, you'll see the label NOT, which is meant to convey that checking the boxes in that column will negate the criteria you have selected. So be sure to check those boxes only when you DON'T want something.

Hope this helps you understand what you did to get the erroneous syntax.

Archived