#21 David Knoll

David Knoll

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:56 PM

A case in point is the excellent database by Frank Andersen and Dean Forbes. I know that Dean Forbes uses it easily because he designed the "guts" (just like I can use our database easily, even in the text files). But the AFAT database remains, even for me, very difficult to use and achieve accuracy (and I had the privilege of using it before it went public). The result: when I use it, I run numerous searches, all slightly different, and then read through all the examples one-by-one.

My verdict wouldn't be that lenient.
In their defence: I am not sure AF are to blame. It could be the integration in the software.

Edited by David Knoll, 05 July 2011 - 06:57 PM.

#22 Robert Holmstedt

Robert Holmstedt

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 534 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:13 PM

My verdict wouldn't be that lenient.
In their defence: I am not sure AF are to blame. It could be the integration in the software.

My was not either until I came to know both Frank and Dean personally and gained an informed understanding of the guts of the AFAT database.
And yes, a good deal of the usability issue has to do with the software running their database.

Users who are truly interested in syntax should urge Accordance to add the Andersen-Forbes database alongside ours. Both databases running on Accordance would provide a complementary view of Hebrew syntax where they overlap (on the Hebrew Bible).
  • Rick Bennett likes this
Associate Professor, Ancient Hebrew and Northwest Semitic Languages
Dept. of Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations
The University of Toronto
blog: ancienthebrewgrammar.wordpress.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users