Jump to content


Photo

User Tool Editing


  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Brent Lawrence

Brent Lawrence

    Gold

  • Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Skokie, IL
  • Interests:Jesus, my wife, my kids, my church, the Boston Red Sox, baseball in general, my Macs, golf (when I have time to play).
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:22 AM

I have spent considerable time over the past few months taking my sermons and converting them to a User Tool. I did so by importing them from a text file rather than HTML. Lately, as I have been applying some formatting changes within the Edit User Tool window, for no apparent reason (at least that I can reproduce), some of my previous entries get deleted when I hit the Update button. Essentially, the titles and text of 5-10 of the next sermons gets eaten up.

The formatting changes have been simple, like bold, italics, etc. Could my module be corrupt?

#2 jarcher

jarcher

    Silver

  • Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Minnesota
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:51 AM

Brent,

Could it be that you simply cannot see them because of the increasing length of the tool? Try to go to "Preferences" - "Edit Windows" - and set the User Tool Window Edit to "Large (fewer updates"

If that is the case, the performance will really slow down, however. I'm hoping that will be something that is addressed in the next version.

#3 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

    Mithril

  • Admin
  • 8,500 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:heart in Israel
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:15 PM

Brent:

Changing the Block size only affects how much text you can see in the Edit window at one time (as well as the speed of updating). The first point to ascertain is whether text is actually being deleted. Can you see it in the User Tool window at all? Does it come back in the Edit window if you use the arrows?

If the text is deleted, it may be a bug, or the file may be corrupt. If you create a new tool and import the file into it, that should get rid of any corruption. However, if it is a bug, we need you to try and isolate what is triggering it, so we can fix it on the next rev.

This is a good reminder to us all to make back-ups of anything in which we have invested time: user notes and tools, highlight settings (actually all the settings), etc., etc.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#4 Brent Lawrence

Brent Lawrence

    Gold

  • Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Skokie, IL
  • Interests:Jesus, my wife, my kids, my church, the Boston Red Sox, baseball in general, my Macs, golf (when I have time to play).
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:19 PM

I have had some I/O #36 errors, but these have not always resulted in text being deleted. I can confirm that the text is deleted. A simple way that I used to determine that was to search the title of the sermon both as a title and as content. I spent quite a bit of time trying to reproduce it and could not do so by any one set of steps. Maybe I do have a corrupt file.

Backup, backup, backup. You are so right. Fortunately it's not an enormous amount of material.

In a post from October I mentioned how slow editing of the HTML file of my imported sermons was and I abandoned the HTML for text. Maybe I will give the HTML another try since I have noticed a speed increase in more recent Accordance revisions.

Edited by Brent Lawrence, 13 March 2006 - 12:32 PM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users