Word Chart

thegoodfight

Hi,

I really enjoy the practicality of creating a word chart by highlighting text and then clicking the "word chart" icon in the resource palette. My question is: is it possible to make a word chart of only select words throughout a passage or bible book? So far I have only been able to create them using consecutive words in a book or passage. The benefit of being able to select random words throughout and then make a word chart of those words would be that in studying Greek, I could make a chart of only words in Romans that I did not know how to parse. This would greatly aid my studying process and save a lot of paper if I wanted to print out the chart. Is this possible? Thanks.

I don't think it is possible to do what you are requesting (select individual, non-contiguous words to populate a Word Chart). You can, however, copy the contents of a Word Chart and paste it into a spreadsheet (Numbers or Excel, or even into a table in Word or Pages) and then manually remove the unwanted words prior to printing. Because Accordance copies the Word Chart as tab delimited content, it pastes beautifully into a table. You can then also, of course, format the information in a variety of ways before printing.

It would be nice if we were able to do what you're requesting. This would be one of those minor feature tweaks , however, which I can't imagine being anywhere near the top of the list for the Accordance developers (or most users).

Edited by Sean R.

If your purpose is to have the parsing info only for the words you don't know yet, you could do this with the Parsing window rather than the Word Chart.

The first thing you would have to do is search your passage for every word except the words you want to exclude. This could be done in a number of ways, but the quick and dirty way would be to search for the asterisk (which represents every word) and then exclude various words using the minus sign. Like this:

*-ἄγγελοσ-ἀμήν-ἄνθρωποσ-ἀπόστολος

Or you could exclude specific forms, like this:

*@-[NOUN (accusative, nominative)] @- [VERB present active indicative]

Obviously, the more forms you want to exclude, the more unwieldy this approach becomes, but you could create a separate search for a long list of words or forms (which you would save and add to over time), then use the HITS command to exclude them from this search.

Once you've found only the words you want, select all the text you want to parse and click the Parse button on the Resource palette. In the parsing window, use the keyboard shortcut command-T to customize the parsing display. You can then choose Hit words only from the Parse pop-up menu. When you click OK, the parsing window will then display only the words you searched for and not the ones you excluded.

To follow on from David, using a search argument of [COUNT 30-50] would give you the words that occurr that number of times in the main range (as set in the pop-up menu). Tweak the COUNT to give yourself a set of words that are less common than the ones you know.

Thanks for the help. I think the word chart is the best option for me, as I like being able to delete all the "answers" in a column and then work through it myself. I also like the translation and comments columns for syntax. It's more for the purpose of making a "workbook" of parsing, translation and syntax from the book of Romans that I can work through. I don't know if it would be possible to select non-consecutive words through command+click or through the highlighting feature in a future release, but that could be very helpful. In that regard, it would also be nice to be able to add to an existing word chart, so that I could go through, select certain words, make a word chart...and then as I continue to work through the book to add more words to that same chart.

What I am doing which works pretty well is just making a word chart for each chapter, deleting the parsing and translation info, and then as I work through that chapter of Romans I will fill in the info for words I am having difficulty with. Once I finish a chapter I'll copy it into excel and then manually delete the rows I haven't filled out (which contain words I already know).

This sounds very interesting. When you have time (after doing all the hard work!) may I ask if you would be willing to show/share a little with us? Thanks.

Kevin.

• 3 weeks later...

This sounds very interesting. When you have time (after doing all the hard work!) may I ask if you would be willing to show/share a little with us? Thanks.

Kevin.

would be glad to! I'm afraid, however, that all the finished product will be is a workspace with syntax windows of every chapter in romans with the info filled in for the words I had trouble parsing and defining, as well as a large spreadsheet of the same words. Here is the work in progress..i'm up to ch 3. post-29401-094697900 1313271813_thumb.png

• 3 years later...

I don't know if it would be possible to select non-consecutive words through command+click or through the highlighting feature in a future release, but that could be very helpful.

It would be really great if the Word Chart had the ability to filter to hit words, like other tools, and sort by number of hits etc. It really is the most promising tool for exporting vocab, except that it's the most limited tool in terms of filtering at present. Can this be put on the request list?