Accordance and traditional Bibles

Todd Mogilner

I am a new Christian and a new informal Bible student. I am wondering how people use their traditional Bibles with Accordance. I am finding that when I am doing any sort of studying, or research I find Accordance invaluable, the problem is that I cannot always have access to Accordance when I am in a Bible Study or class.

I am trying to find ways to use all the tools I have available in Accordance and bring some of that info into my traditional Bible.

I know this question doesn't necessarily make sense but maybe someone knows what I mean :)

Todd Mogilner

One helpful feature for me is the user notes and user tools. If I know I am going to be studying a particular passage, I can cut and paste relevant information into the user notes, and print them out and take them with me. Then they're always there when I need them later, too. I also find it's helpful to create user tools for information I find myself looking up often in, for example, a Greek grammar. I have a user tool explaining all the conditional statements in the GNT (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th class conditions). That's something else that could be put on a half sheet and easily carried with me to a Bible study. Hope this helps!

I still often prefer to sit in a comfy chair to do my sermon prep, and sometimes I take my sermon file "on the road" with me, to work on while I wait for an appointment, or over a meal. So one of the things I do is print out the Scripture passages for my sermon. For each passage, I create a tab in Accordance with the NRSV, the NET Bible and either the BHS or the GNT. I print out this tab, and then print out the relevant NET Notes on a separate page. You could adapt this process to have parallel translations in front of you during class and/or Bible Study, if you know ahead of time which passages you'll be looking at.

I also have an old laptop which will run Accordance, and I take that with me to a pastor's Bible Study I attend.

In college, I used to type my class notes to prepare for my finals. You might find typing notes from class into an Accordance user note helpful, and you could do some follow up using Accordance's tools after class.

Archived