ZEB or YABD

Mike Ross

I am getting ready to start back on a masters program. I am looking to buy another Bible Dictionary. I have the IVP Essential Reference, but was thinking about either purchasing ZEB or YABD. I want to purchase one this is scholarly but also practical for ministry as well. I've read an earlier discussion thread on the YABD. I have also watch the podcast on Bible Dictionaries. Which would you recommend to meet the goal of having a great scholarly reference but one that is also practical for ministry, in my case mission work.

Thanks!

Mike

I would vote AYBD (Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary). It has been immensely useful in my pastorate for years. Having such ready access to articles at such a moments notice has been invaluable. And now, the full text always in my pocket (via the iOS app is flabbergasting). The AYBD would be considered more scholarly, but he Zondervan volumes have more pictures, so if that is more useful in your setting, it may serve better.

I would vote AYBD (Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary). It has been immensely useful in my pastorate for years. Having such ready access to articles at such a moments notice has been invaluable. And now, the full text always in my pocket (via the iOS app is flabbergasting). The AYBD would be considered more scholarly, but he Zondervan volumes have more pictures, so if that is more useful in your setting, it may serve better.

I'm with Joe, AYBD. It's the scholarly standard and referring to it is expected in graduate work. AYBD will also cover the latest scholarship and theories (liberal and conservative) on an issue, something the ZEB does not do. Many people find themselves threatened by such discussions [or just really, really irritated]. Personally, I like knowing what the options are. I have no problem sorting the meat from the fat and feel better-equipped to handle apologetic discussions.

I am currently in a Master of Theological Studies program, and the AYBD has been invaluable. You cannot go wrong with it.

Toss my hat in for Anchor. It's a fantastic resource with very thorough entries on most biblical people/places/topics you would want to learn more about.

Well, the YABD's have it! Thank you all for your input. I will probably end up owning both of them eventually, but for right YADB appears to be the best option. Dr. J, I appreciated your point about the knowing the options. I believe that if we are to grow as believers we need to be willing to listen to other viewpoints and consider them. As Paul would say, "...test everything; hold fast what is good

Archived