NIDNTT word count accuracy

Robb B

A couple of times while using NIDNTT module I have noticed the number of times they say a word appears in the NT or LXX is different from the number of hits I get in Accordance. Last night, for example, I was studying the word teleios and on several variations of the term NIDNTT had a different number than Accordance. In the GNT-T I came up with 17 hits for teleios, while NIDNTT claimed 20 uses. Another example was teleiotes. NIDNTT cited a usage of it in Prov 11:3, but in LXX1 I can't find that word. The 5 uses in NIDNTT compared to the 4 hits in LXX1 make me think that is an error in NIDNTT.

All of that to say, has anyone else noticed NIDNTT misstating usage statistics or having statistics that vary from what an Accordance search yields? If so, is Accordance always correct, or is there a mixture? I would assume Accordance would be more accurate, but I just wanted to get other people's thoughts on the NIDNTT usage statistics. Thanks!

Rob,

I searched my GNT-T for teleios and received 19 hits in 17 verses. Something is wrong.

Will

Dr. Varner,

It's good to see another Master's guy on the forum! I graduated from TMS in '02 and taught in the CIS department at TMC for two years.

You're correct, 19 hits in 17 verses is what I also get. NIDNTT says the word occurs 20 times. Are they rounding, or is something else wrong?

NIDNTT is an excellent tool, but it is translated from the German edition which was first published in 1967. That was long before computer-aided Bible study was available. I think you are being rather hard on the book.

I wasn't trying to be hard on the book. I was simply confused about the numbers and wondering why there was a discrepancy. I love NIDNTT as a resource, but when I am teaching or preaching, if I cite how many times a word is used in a text, I want to make sure it is accurate. I apologize if I sounded hard on the resource. I heartily recommend it to anyone studying the Bible.

Archived