5 replies to this topic

#1 Allen Watson

Allen Watson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:01 PM

I'd love to see an Accordance app for Android phones, like the one for IOS devices. And the recent announcement of Amazon's Kindle Fire tablet, with an Android-derived OS, which I have ordered, makes me want to see an app for that as well.

Edited by Allen Watson, 12 October 2011 - 01:01 PM.

#2 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,490 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:35 PM

Never say never, but it's not planned for any time soon, sorry! That's a whole different operating system.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#3 apull

apull

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:36 PM

I'd like to second this request. Now that Android devices have passed iOS in market share, it seems a wise move.

I currently only have the Scholar's Collection, which I've loved ever since seminary, but before I start buying commentaries and other resources, I'm seriously considering Logos--it was an inconvenience having to bring my Mac into my Church for study (we're windows-only there), but now that my Mac laptop has been mostly replaced by an android tablet, that may be the deciding factor.

Logos now supports PC as well as Mac (something I know a lot of people have wanted from Accordance for a long time!), and Android alongside iOS as well. It's a true pity that the Accordance team never had the foresight to hire some windows developers and extend this quality software to the non-mac world--and now the exclusion of Android seems similarly foolish. I bought a Mac for the purpose of getting Accordance, but I'm not going to buy an iPad for the same reason.

I know they're a whole different operating system, but porting software is not the same as re-developing it from scratch. For the sake of your business and pastors and scholars as well, please expand your reach!!

#4 Fr. Rusty

Fr. Rusty

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:22 AM

I think it is harder to code multi-platform than people think it is when you are talking about complex coding.
I have Logos as well and it does not perform well on the Mac.
It does do ok as an e-reader on my iPhone and iPad as long as I am connected to Wifi or 3g, but few resources actually function well from the device itself.
That said: I do think it is easier to code for the Mobile devices Operating systems than it is for the Platform Operating Systems.

I know we all want these programs to work on all our devices and, if we could ever get some type on universal tagging and coding for our resources, perhaps that would not only make cross platform coding easier, but would also assure that our investments in resources is not wasted if some company breaks up, get's sold or otherwise goes away.
3/4 of the resources I own digitally I have now purchased ( at great expense) at least three times due to software companies falling apart.

If Accordance does decide to offer an Android App, I would pray they did so with the Dignity, Quality and Consistency and Support they have in the Apple World.

#5 Robb Brunansky

Robb Brunansky

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:36 AM

The iOS app is great, but it has a lot of room to grow still. I would rather not see development resources devoted to other mobile platforms until the iOS app reaches greater maturity. While I know that isn't the popular opinion among people who use Android or Windows Phone, Oak Tree is a Mac company, and you should expect that Apple platforms will take priority.
Soli Deo Gloria,
Robb Brunansky

#6 Robb Brunansky

Robb Brunansky

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:39 AM

I'd like to second this request. Now that Android devices have passed iOS in market share, it seems a wise move.

I know they're a whole different operating system, but porting software is not the same as re-developing it from scratch. For the sake of your business and pastors and scholars as well, please expand your reach!!

People have said this about developing a Windows app, too. It's not really as persuasive as it appears on the surface. When you expand platforms like that, you might expand customer base, but you might also expand support expenses more than you expect. More platforms/more customers is not always a good thing for a software company.
Soli Deo Gloria,
Robb Brunansky

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users