5 replies to this topic

#1 Mary Hinkle Shore

Mary Hinkle Shore

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:36 PM

I think this is an easy question for a Friday afternoon.

I know how to search for either a lemma or a particular form of a word (e.g. πιστεὐω), and I know how to search for a particular type of form (e.g. verb, imperative), but how do I do both at the same time? When I try to combine these questions, the results of my search are verses that have both (1) some form of πιστεὐω and (2) any random imperative. That is not the search I mean to be running.

What I want is the occurrences of πιστεὐω in the imperative mood. What's the query for this search look like?
Mary
Mary Hinkle Shore
Professor of New Testament
Luther Seminary
St. Paul, Minnesota
---
Preaching Blog: Pilgrim Preaching
Twitter Feed: @MaryShore

#2 Michael J. Bolesta

Michael J. Bolesta

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Interests:scripture study, preaching, teaching
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:47 PM

I think this construct does what you want. Open a Greek construct window (cmd-2). Drag Lex to the 1st column and select pisteuw. Drag verb to the 2nd column and select imperative under mood. Then drag within in the blank area above. Specify a range likely to cover any verse length (I used 1 to 50 words; increasing it to 100 did not change the result). There are six hits. See image.

Attached File  construct.tiff   352.59KB   6 downloads

Michael

#3 James Tucker

James Tucker

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:53 PM

I think this is an easy question for a Friday afternoon.

I know how to search for either a lemma or a particular form of a word (e.g. πιστεὐω), and I know how to search for a particular type of form (e.g. verb, imperative), but how do I do both at the same time? When I try to combine these questions, the results of my search are verses that have both (1) some form of πιστεὐω and (2) any random imperative. That is not the search I mean to be running.

What I want is the occurrences of πιστεὐω in the imperative mood. What's the query for this search look like?
Mary

You can get your desired search with "[verb imperative] @=πιστεύω". In GNT-T I get 15 hits.

#4 Michael J. Bolesta

Michael J. Bolesta

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Interests:scripture study, preaching, teaching

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:56 PM

You can get your desired search with "[verb imperative] @=πιστεύω". In GNT-T I get 15 hits.

This gets all the imperative forms of πιστεύω. My construct gives all verses with a form of πιστεύω and any imperative. Re-reading your post, James gives you what you want. It can be done with the construct window too.

Michael

Edited by Michael J. Bolesta, 14 October 2011 - 04:57 PM.

Michael

#5 James Tucker

James Tucker

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:08 PM

Another way of doing it is to perform a general search for the verb πιστεύω. Then, open an analysis window and select "Analysis Graph." At the bottom, in the pop-up menu, select "Mood." This will give you a large view of all the occurrences of the verb in the New Testament. To preview the results, click on each bar, and your search results will navigate to that location — a very handy way to consider the various usages of a lexis and TVM (Tense, Voice, Mood).

Edited by James Tucker, 14 October 2011 - 05:09 PM.

#6 Mary Hinkle Shore

Mary Hinkle Shore

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:19 PM

Another way of doing it is to perform a general search for the verb πιστεύω. Then, open an analysis window and select "Analysis Graph." At the bottom, in the pop-up menu, select "Mood." This will give you a large view of all the occurrences of the verb in the New Testament. To preview the results, click on each bar, and your search results will navigate to that location a very handy way to consider the various usages of a lexis and TVM (Tense, Voice, Mood).

Thanks very much. Both of these are things I didn't know how to do before.
-Mary
Mary Hinkle Shore
Professor of New Testament
Luther Seminary
St. Paul, Minnesota
---
Preaching Blog: Pilgrim Preaching
Twitter Feed: @MaryShore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users