HansK

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:Legal metaphors, Dogmatics, Christology
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:07 AM

The Gr. verb ktizo occurs twice in Col 1:16.
The voice is passive in both cases. I believe that the second occurrence is tagged wrong in GNT-BYZ.
Or do I miss something here? I am no Gr. expert.

Hans

#2 Marco V. Fabbri

Marco V. Fabbri

Silver

• Accordance
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:55 AM

I haven't done the tagging myself, but I think that I know what happens.
A few years ago, before the Accordance Forums were made, there was a discussion about Middle and Passive in the old Accordance mailing list, that reflected similar discussions in the [B-Greek] mailing list.

Should forms of the type -μαι, -σαι, -ται be tagged according to morphology, or according to meaning?

According to form, ἔκτισται is Middle, at least if we call Middle the form -μαι, -σαι, -ται. According to meaning, it is passive, as ἐκτίσθη that comes before it.

In GNT-T the decision was taken that, whenever meaning would require a tag and form would require another, both would be provided as alternate tags.

This is what I see in ἔκτισται.
Marco Valerio Fabbri
P. Università della S. Croce
Rome, Italy

#3 Julie Falling

Julie Falling

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts
  • Interests:Numerous!

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:18 AM

One other thing to note: the aorist has distinct active, middle, and passive forms. The perfect, on the other hand, has just two forms – an active form, and a middle/passive form. It is up to the translator/interpreter to decide if the middle/passive is middle in meaning or passive in meaning. With the tagging, looks like Accordance has opted for calling a Mp (middle/passive) a middle. I, for one, appreciate that they have chosen to parse without interpreting. In Greek class, we were asked to take a stand on the Mp use and parse accordingly, but we were not just tagging, we were translating.

Julia

Julia Falling

Accordance 10

MacBook Air Mavericks

Mac mini Mavericks

iPad Air iOS 7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users