Search Different Languages Simultaneously

rdtaylorjr

How do I search for two different words in two different languages in the same verse? For example, say I want to find all the verses where θεος occurs in the Septuagint AND אלוהים occurs in BHS? Or, I may want to find every verse where אלוהים occurs in BHS but the tetragrammaton occurs in the Dead Sea Scrolls biblical texts (that's probably a bad example because they're both Hebrew). Another example: how do I find all the verses where אלוהים occurs in the BHS and gods (plural) occurs in the NRSV?

I've found a sort of workaround with the LXX/MT using the LXX/MT parallel aligned texts module, but the way its search function works is different because it's a tool not a text. It won't let me limit my search to, say, the book of Joshua, like I can in a text module. It also won't let me do grammatical searches (I'd love to see the LXX/MT module grammatically tagged!). I'm also not exactly sure why the parallel aligned MT/LXX isn't a text module.

I'm guessing the Interlinear function may be able to solve the problem with the Hebrew/English example search above (although I haven't tried it, so I'm not sure).

And, you could use Search All to compare the BHS with the DSSB, but again the functionality is different in the Search All window and is limited, unless I'm missing something.

This is what I've found so far. I may be missing something really obvious. If, by chance, I'm not, what I would love to see is a More Options > AND type search in the text modules window like there is in the tool modules window. Or, maybe a Search All feature that works across multiple languages.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!

I believe I just figured it out...

Step 1 - Open a tab and search BHS-W4 for whatever

Step 2 - Open another tab and search LXX1 for whatever

Step 3 - Open a third tab and type (or use the search menu to input): [CONTENTS BHS-W4] <AND> [CONTENTS LXX1]

The third window includes only those results that occur in both of the first two windows.

Now if I could just narrow it down to search at the word level, or at the very least the clause level, in order to avoid false results where the words occur in different parts of the verse...

Wow, that was exactly what I was looking for! Thank you very much! This allows for some very powerful searches with very little effort.

By the way, this is what I did (in case someone else would like to know, and in case I'm still doing something wrong)...

Step 3 - Open the MT/LXX tool and type (or use the search menu to input): [MERGE BHS-W4] <AND> [MERGE LXX1]

I am very excited about the ability to combine grammatical, syntactical and MT/LXX searches into one! Very nicely done, Accordance!

By the way, this is what I did (in case someone else would like to know, and in case I'm still doing something wrong)...

Step 3 - Open the MT/LXX tool and type (or use the search menu to input): [MERGE BHS-W4] <AND> [MERGE LXX1]

I am very excited about the ability to combine grammatical, syntactical and MT/LXX searches into one! Very nicely done, Accordance!

You can take this one step further. If you change the drop-down menu in the MT/LXX from show "All Text" to show "Paragraphs", it will restrict the displayed material to only the words you searched for (changing to "add titles" will add the verse references). This is a great way to quickly see how a particular word is usually translated.

Jonathan

Archived