Photo

How to Make Kubo-like List of Vocabulary?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mary Hinkle Shore

Mary Hinkle Shore

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:19 AM

I'd like to produce a list, like those in Kubo's A Reader's Greek-English Lexicon of the NT, where new words in the chapter one is reading are listed in the order they appear in the text, rather than in order by frequency or alphabet. Is this possible in Accordance?
Mary Hinkle Shore
Professor of New Testament
Luther Seminary
St. Paul, Minnesota
---
Preaching Blog: Pilgrim Preaching
Twitter Feed: @MaryShore

#2 James Tucker

James Tucker

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:24 PM

It would be nice to have a pop-up menu item within the search Analysis to sort the search results in a contextual list (i.e., according to a words location in the text, compared other valid hits). Perhaps this is a feature that could be included in the future.

As for now, the way I've done this sort of thing is to create a Gloss note file. I like to get students into the Hebrew text immediately as possible. I've found that a contextual vocabulary building method to be very efficacious in retention and apropos for Second Language Acquisition. Thus, I've done some like the following:
[attachment=1813:Screen Shot 2011-11-27 at 9.15.53 AM.png]

If the student has Accordance, I just share my Gloss file with the student. If she doesn't have Accordance, I print out the text with the note file in a column adjacent to the text. This doesn't completely answer your question, and will require more organization work on your part. For now, this is the only way I can think of to create a list like those in Kubo.

Edited by James Tucker, 27 November 2011 - 12:25 PM.

• jeremy.hultin@yale.edu likes this

#3 RobM

RobM

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Interests:Hebrew, ANE languages and literature, Literary Theory
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 27 November 2011 - 02:49 PM

I'd like to produce a list, like those in Kubo's A Reader's Greek-English Lexicon of the NT, where new words in the chapter one is reading are listed in the order they appear in the text, rather than in order by frequency or alphabet. Is this possible in Accordance?

Yes, this is.

I've described how to do this here.

#4 jeremy.hultin@yale.edu

jeremy.hultin@yale.edu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:12 PM

Dear James, Your "gloss note file" would be ideal for many classroom settings. But how did you create that so that you could share it? Thanks! Jeremy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Ask Jeeves (1)