Photo

Can someone explain the difference between Logos vs. Accordance?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 Ken Simpson

Ken Simpson

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,285 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy
    Archaeology
    Physics
    Hebrew and Greek
    Papyrology
    Surgeon
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:00 AM

5. Accordance is FAST. It starts way faster than Logos, and searching is lightning fast. Logos' searching is getting faster with indexing, but I haven't found any Bible program that searches faster than Logos

Hi Nathan, if this is what you meant, you are the first person who I have heard say it.

Regards
Ken
Australian Accordance Demonstrator

Administrator, Accordance Exchange

Assistant Minister, Summer Hill Church

#62 Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:04 PM

Hi Nathan, if this is what you meant, you are the first person who I have heard say it.

MAJOR typo! Meant to say Accordance! Sorry about that! :-)

Also, I wanted to point out that Accordance feels more stable. Stuff like Notes, I feel way more confident storing them in Accordance over Logos. All of Logos' fancy syncing features doesn't mean anything when I can't spend a decent amount of times in their note files without the program crashing. Some files are great in Logos and I don't mind using. For Bible note taking, hands down I'm sticking with Accordance. 

• Dan Francis likes this

Nathan Parker

President/CEO

Mallard Computer, Inc.

#63 Enoch

Enoch

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:21 AM

I have just found that what I wanted in Accordance is now available in Logos.  Now with Logos one can search for a particular Greek word and apparently bring up most of the Greek literature references to that word from Homer into the Church Fathers, using the rather inexpensive Perseus module with the LSJ attached to it.  I just got a thrill out of seeing a long list of examples of apostas* (apostasis, apostasia, etc.) in much Greek literature. And they are also doing Loeb classics, so Loeb also is included in the search, along with commentary and lexical references to that word, even if not from the Heading entry, but as now only a select part of the Greek Loeb library is available via Logos.  This makes a fantastic resource.

Edited by Enoch, 29 June 2014 - 12:28 AM.

• Dan Francis likes this

#64 Enoch

Enoch

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:38 PM

I also note that Logos has done for LSJ what I wanted from Accordance with BDAG (and all lexicons),

namely used spacing and editing to separate meanings, make them easier to read; list words separately that in print are listed with abbreviation like using a hyphen ( -) to save space, like under Apostasia, the entry for apostasis might just be -sis, etc.

The rationale is that the print version required compacting, but the electronic version does not need compacting since there are no paper & trees to save.  

Also Logos has Alford's Greek Testament and also the English version of Alf.  Apparently both have been spaced out (as above) for legibility.  And you can put the Greek Testament in parallel with the English version of Alf so that at least some of Alford's Latin quotations are translated into English for you.  

Edited by Enoch, Yesterday, 04:41 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users