Photo

Grammatical tag search buttons? (and an extended keyboard, please!)

iOS Tags Grammatical Buttons Search Extended Keyboard

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

I love Accordance on my laptop as well as on my iPad. What I'm looking for in the iOS version is a more user-friendly grammatically-tagged text search, like we have on the OSX version already.

Right now, if I want to drill down into, say, the Greek, after clicking the verb tag, I then have to type, e.g., part pres act ind to get present active indicative participles.

The desktop version handles this with checkboxes after introducing a verb tagócan we have something similar in iOS?

Also, some apps give us one form of extended keyboard or another. Specifically for Accordance, I think arrow keys right and left would be EXTREMELY useful timesavers for editing what winds up in the search field. I hate that iOS forces us to tap and wait for the magnifying glass, play the precise pixel game, etc, all just to change a few numbers for an expanded verse reference.

iThoughtsHD (mind mapping app) gives us additional cursor left/right, word left/right (corresponds to option-arrow on the Mac), and a key on either side that simulates a tap at the present cursor location to make pasting much faster. Could we get something like that for Accordance?

Thanks!

Edited by Andrew, 17 March 2012 - 01:12 PM.

#2 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,026 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:15 PM

I don't know about the keyboard, but I do know that it will not be easy to offer the sophisticated tag choices (some dependent on others) of Accordance on the iOS. We are limited by the interface, no dialogs only pop-ups with buttons or sliding menus.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#3 Scott Knapp

Scott Knapp

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:41 PM

An easier way to specify grammatically tagged text searches has been on the feature list since 1.0. As Helen, noted, the UI has to be completely rethought for iOS. We've made some progress towards it, but to be honest, it has not been thought a very high priority to date. Requests such as yours is what helps us prioritize missing and new features as we develop the iOS app.

Thanks for the feedback.

Scott.

#4 JonathanHuber

JonathanHuber

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Bible study, Greek

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:00 PM

There are many features that we have requested for iOS, and we understand that you can't make them all top priority. With that said, easier access to the tags would be helpful.

#5 Robert Holmstedt

Robert Holmstedt

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 506 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

Adding my complete support to a better UI for grammatical tags in the iOS!
Associate Professor, Ancient Hebrew and Northwest Semitic Languages
Dept. of Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations
The University of Toronto
blog: ancienthebrewgrammar.wordpress.com

#6 David Knoll

David Knoll

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:50 PM

Me too

#7 bcyc511

bcyc511

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Biblical languages, inductive Bible study (OIA), soccer, coffee (not necessarily starbucks), Hong Kong style milk tea...
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:53 PM

Me too!

#8 Bob Kuo

Bob Kuo

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:36 AM

I would love to have a better UI for searching with grammatical tags. I know that it is possible to run most searches on iOS, but I can never remember some of the commands. I know there isn't much screen space left on the iPhone and I'm not sure what to suggest to have it show.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iOS, Tags, Grammatical, Buttons, Search, Extended, Keyboard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users