#1 Lorinda H. M. Hoover

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:54 PM

I've noticed several posters mention using Accordance and their laptops to teach. It's gotten me to thinking about how I might use my new iBook in teaching settings. Currently, when I teach, I'm heavily dependent on newsprint. I can see how Keynote or Power Point can help in teaching (I've used the latter a little), but much of what I use newsprint for can't be prepped ahead of time. For example, I might ask a class to share their impressions of the Old Testament, a favorite Bible passage, or what makes for good preaching, and then write those comments on a sheet of newsprint. Is there a good way to do this "digitally"? Or would I need to keep newsprint around even if I shifted prepped items to the computer? I have heard about the new "smart" whiteboards that connect to a computer, but they are WAY beyond my budget.
Running Accordance on:
Mac 10.9 (Mavericks)
iOS 7 (iPad)
Windows Vista Home Premium

#2 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 2,995 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 11 May 2006 - 10:54 PM

I've noticed several posters mention using Accordance and their laptops to teach. It's gotten me to thinking about how I might use my new iBook in teaching settings. Currently, when I teach, I'm heavily dependent on newsprint. I can see how Keynote or Power Point can help in teaching (I've used the latter a little), but much of what I use newsprint for can't be prepped ahead of time. For example, I might ask a class to share their impressions of the Old Testament, a favorite Bible passage, or what makes for good preaching, and then write those comments on a sheet of newsprint. Is there a good way to do this "digitally"? Or would I need to keep newsprint around even if I shifted prepped items to the computer? I have heard about the new "smart" whiteboards that connect to a computer, but they are WAY beyond my budget.

I'm certainly not as experienced as most of the posters here, but in my experience, I use the laptop for simply preparation and presentation. If I wanted to have some sort of class feedback, I can still have plenty of discussion or handouts. I know also of a study, experienced as an attendee, where though the teaching was done with Accordance on a laptop with a projector, each meeting still had a paper handout with an outline. As far as I know, there is no simple digital way to replace the newsprint (save having them all with their own laptops... in those cases I have heard of interesting solutions), but it isn't necessary. Accordance is still an excellent supplementary tool.
Joel Brown

By day: Consultant for Oaktree
By night: Freelance Trombonist and Private Instructor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users