• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#41 nickpage

nickpage

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:13 AM

For those of us still mourning the loss of Nisus Classic, Nisus have announced Nisus Pro, which looks like it will finally be bringing back many of the features lost in Express.

More info here: Nisus Pro Preview

I've been using Mellel for years, but never felt fully comfortable with it, so I'm hoping Nisus Pro will be everything I need. But then again, I'm hoping that England will win the Cricket world Cup, as well...
Nick Page

#42 Eoin

Eoin

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:21 AM

For those of us still mourning the loss of Nisus Classic, Nisus have announced Nisus Pro, which looks like it will finally be bringing back many of the features lost in Express.

More info here: Nisus Pro Preview

I used the Classic version for years - the one feature I was hoping they would bring back was the "booklet" formatting. There was no need to remember how many pages, or plan ahead. I just wrote and printed and it took care of everything. Unfortunately it was dropped as part of Nisus Express (and Pro) - and still hasn't been re-instated.

I had issues with non availabilty of minority language spelling dictionaries for Nisus - now they rely on the OS supplying spelling. That still leaves me with minor problems but I will just have to live with it.

Pity about the booklet formatting - 's e sin mar a tha (that's how it is) - Eņin
The Reverend John Lincoln
Minister
Parishes of Balquhidder linked with Killin and Ardeonaig
Scotland

My Webpage

#43 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Interests:I like things that are Orange, and possibly Blue.
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:33 PM

NeoOffice 2.1 is due out March 27... the continued development of NeoOffice is Extremely promising for us.

#44 Lorinda H. M. Hoover

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 11:05 PM

Actually, you can get it now if you are willing to pay a little something for it. ($25 until March 13; $10 Between March 13 and 27, after that it's free, although donations are always welcome.).

Since I posted in this thread last fall, NeoOffice has come a long way. I'm quite pleased with it; I don't miss either MS Word or AppleWorks.

Running Accordance on:

Mac 10.9 (Mavericks)

iOS 7 (iPad)

Windows Vista Home Premium

#45 Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:01 PM

For my word processing I use both Pages & NeoOffice. Pages will help you develop really professional documents very easily, & NeoOffice offers POWERFUL original language font support & document technology. NeoOffice is really great & it's free. You'll love working with it.

Eventually I hope to write a powerful word processor app that takes advantage of the original language unicode fonts of today. We'll see what happens.

Nathan

I am dedicating this machine to Accordance and to Bible study. So I need to hear from veteran users what they consider the finest word processor, especially for Greek and Hebrew texts. It also needs to be somewhat Microsoft (can I use that word on this forum?) compatible (i.e. files which can be read by MSWord - my laptop is PC). I have heard of Word for Mac, Mellel, and Note Bene. What suggestions can you give me.

I know that Mellel is probably a better word processor for Hebrew et al....but, just to put forth another name besides Word, Mellel and Nisus, I would recommend Mariner Write. I have to say that I like it very much. It is very intuitive and seems to handle any imported text from Accordance very well. They have a demo at http://www.marinerso...age.php?page=12. It is a very fast, small footprint, economical word processor with good support. Give it a try.

pr dave speers
dspeers@altamont.net

Nathan Parker

President/CEO

Mallard Computer, Inc.

#46 konanken

konanken

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:49 PM

I just started using Mellel and it is unbelievable! I downloaded most of the recommendations from this particular forum and liked using Mellel the best with Accordance. Thanks for all the recommendations here ladies and gentleman!

#47 apull

apull

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:00 AM

I second the vote for NeoOffice -- Now on version 2.2, it's become super mature, is quite powerful, and plays well with other languages. Now with support for those annoying Office 2007 document formats.

Oh, and did I mention that it's free? If you haven't checked it out yet, you owe it to yourself (neoOffice.org)

#48 Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:57 PM

I finally switched back to Office 2004 & now I'm on Office 2008. There's just a few things I couldn't do in NeoOffice so I went with the real thing. If you can get by on NeoOffice than I'd just use it since it's free & you won't have to worry about upgrading to new expensive packages, just download the free update. If you have to go with Office then it works really well as a word processor. Word 2008 has seemed really nice so far. Of course, for everything I can I use iWork, as it's my favorite app. iWork '08 has been really amazing.

Nathan Parker

President/CEO

Mallard Computer, Inc.

#49 Outis

Outis

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, Mountain Biking, Swimming,Translating Hebrew & Greek, good coffee, loose-leaf tea, homebrewing, stinky candles.

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:34 PM

I hope this thread isn't dead. It seems to go back a decent amount in time.

Anyway, As far as word processors go, the real question is what are you using it for?

For church bulletins and stuff, I use Pages. It still needs to mature some as a word processor, but it works fine for my needs.

For papers, sermons and most everything else, I use XeTeX . It produces functional output with english, greek and hebrew. But the real advantage is the ability to write first and then format later. I used to spend an extra hour writing my sermons just playing with the fonts and colors instead of writing. Now, I write first and make it pretty after. It saves some time.

These things are a matter of individual preference. But I use XeTeX because it's pretty, efficient and free.

Edited by Outis, 13 April 2008 - 10:38 PM.

Pastor Steve Bauer

stevebauer.us
pastorbauer--> at <--gmail.com

sic fatvs nocti se miscvit atrae...

#50 Rick Yentzer

Rick Yentzer

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Bible, family, reading, philosophy, apologetics, theology, markup, coding and programming

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:41 PM

Instead of starting a new topic I wondered if there were any updated news among the different Text editors out there. I'm currently using Pages 08 but spend half my time getting distracted by tweaking the document rather than writing it.

Any new news on word processors? Likes/Dislikes?
"I'm not afraid of failure. I'm afraid to succeed in something that isn't important." William Carey

#51 Greg Terry

Greg Terry

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study & Accordance!, Puritans and John Calvin, Old Testament study - especially Leviticus, Model Railroading, Apple Computers, & Fountain Pens

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:41 PM

I vote with Dr. Kang - Mellel is the best for proper display of Hebrew.

Additionally, the cost of the program is very reasonable. Their upgrade policy is quite fair - two years of updates and a very reasonable renewal fee after that.
Peace!

Greg

"I was but a Pen in God's hand, and what praise is due to a Pen?"

–Richard Baxter–

#52 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Interests:I like things that are Orange, and possibly Blue.
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:28 AM

There is absolutely no reason not to download Open Office and give it a try.

#53 Outis

Outis

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, Mountain Biking, Swimming,Translating Hebrew & Greek, good coffee, loose-leaf tea, homebrewing, stinky candles.

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:24 AM

Agreed. For general use stuff, Open Office does a decent job, especially they're newest version.

However, it does butcher the Hebrew. Mellel is better with the Hebrew breathing marks and accentum. But, LaTeX does the best.

The only area in which all of these fail is church bulletins. I haven't found any free resources that do the job the right way. So, I saved up and bought Adobe Indesign for our church. It has saved *lots* of time. And the output is beautiful.

I suppose the old proverb is true: dē gustibus non ist disputandum. (one ought not argue over preferences)
Pastor Steve Bauer

stevebauer.us
pastorbauer--> at <--gmail.com

sic fatvs nocti se miscvit atrae...

#54 Lorinda H. M. Hoover

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:46 PM

Note that OpenOffice.org (OOo) does not officially support PPC Macs. You can get OOo for PPCs if you know where to look (I can track down the url if someone needs it). NeoOffice, on the other hand, supports both PPC and Intel Macs, and has some made some other additions to the OpenOffice.org code.

A comparison between NeoOffice, MSWord, and OOo can be found here. It has been put together by NeoOffice volunteers, but an honest attempt was made to stay accurate and honest about features the other to apps have that NeoOffice does not, as well as the other way around.

I don't do much with Hebrew in NeoOffice, so I can't comment from personal experience in that regard. I'm one of the NeoOffice support volunteers, so no doubt my opinion is not completely impartial. I'm thrilled that OOo has come out with their own Mac native version, but I have felt no need to move from NeoOffice myself.

Lorinda

Running Accordance on:

Mac 10.9 (Mavericks)

iOS 7 (iPad)

Windows Vista Home Premium

#55 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:50 AM

Simply curious... is anyone using Pages at all? I have the new version, but haven't given it any kind of run through. I'd be interested in impressions from folks who have used it.
___
Rick Mansfield

RMansfield@mac.com
http://thislamp.com
twitter.com/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

#56 Rick Yentzer

Rick Yentzer

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Bible, family, reading, philosophy, apologetics, theology, markup, coding and programming

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:09 AM

Simply curious... is anyone using Pages at all? I have the new version, but haven't given it any kind of run through. I'd be interested in impressions from folks who have used it.

I actually have Pages 08 and after checking out some of the features of Pages 09 I would be very interested to know how well it works. I have a custom Pages 08 template that I have set up to my liking. I've set my paragraph and type styles, lists and scripture references. The way I work with it now is that I have the F keys as shortcuts to style the doc as I write and copy text in from other sources. I have all the panels and menubars hidden for less distraction. It appears this is easily done in the new Pages 09. I also use a program called Think that separates the front application from all the others, love it.

I think it really depends on what you're needing it for. At this point I simply need to prepare for teaching Sunday School and I basically include talking points, scriptures and any charts or pictures I might need to get a point across. I'm not writing a book or thesis. For my current needs Pages works just fine. I tried the LaTex and really wanted to like it but the learning curve wasn't worth it at this point. I would love to be able to use it with BBEdit because I'm very familiar with it. Possibly if I need to write a thesis or book I'll look back into it.

I have Office 2008 at work and Office 2004 at home never open them.

BTW, Another great program for collecting data is Yojimbo. I use it daily.
"I'm not afraid of failure. I'm afraid to succeed in something that isn't important." William Carey

#57 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:47 AM

Here is yet another new word processor I just discovered called Pagehand. Get this--it's native file format is PDF. It both reads and writes PDF files natively. It's not out yet for official release, but they do have a version 1 that can be downloaded.

http://www.tuaw.com/...roce/#continued
___
Rick Mansfield

RMansfield@mac.com
twitter.com/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

#58 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:22 AM

MacWorld has just published a new review of Mellel 2.6. They give it four out of five stars:

http://www.macworld....06/mellel2.html
___
Rick Mansfield

RMansfield@mac.com
twitter.com/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

#59 mikes

mikes

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:00 PM

For those that have been on the fence. Mellel is on special today with Maczot for $24.50! Only 12 hours left though.

#60 revtim

revtim

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:discipling, loving my wife and family, preaching, & technology

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:15 PM

Here's a new program that I have ran across a few years ago - Scrivener.

http://www.literatur.../scrivener.html

It is a program designed for authors. It acts as a notebook for your text, files, websites, and anything else you can imagine. It allows you to write without worrying about formatting. The idea is that you write it up and then export it into your word processor. Once it is there you can then format it.

I have used it to write sermons, papers, an Advent devotional book (in progress); all with great success.

Since my Hebrew skills have all but ceased to exist and my Greek skills are about as rusty as a bicycle that has been sitting outside through a couple Wisconsin winters, I am not sure how it handles either language. it works great for those of us who don't use oringinal languages as much as we would like to.

There is a free trail & it only costs $39.95
In Christ,

Tim Hall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users