• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Nigro

Mark Nigro

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Interests:Theology, biblical and modern languages, motorcycles, classical guitar, technology
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:34 PM

I am not sure how to divide and classify רוּחַ. Can anyone tell me if this should be considered one closed syllable (CVC) since shureq and the furtive patach are joined in pronunciation? And do we give the vowel combo (shureq/patach) a long classification? Thanks!

Edited by Mark Nigro , 24 May 2012 - 02:44 PM.

#2 Harold Hosch

Harold Hosch

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:01 AM

Mark, ruach is CVC. In certain words a final guttural will require a furtive patach. In Accordance BH, and in some other texts with Hebrew the patach is misaligned. The ruach word may be either feminine or masculine, only noted of course when the word is the subject of a verb. In Ezekiel 2:2 the prophet has ruach as the subject of two verbs (common in Ezekiel) and both verbs are feminine. However in Ezekiel 11:5 "ruach of YHWH" is used with two verbs with the first 'to fall' being feminine, and the second 'to speak' being masculine. By the way, it might be helpful to note that the plural of ruach is ruchot, with the patach dropped. i trust these little 'tidbits' of information might be useful. Harold.

#3 Mark Nigro

Mark Nigro

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Interests:Theology, biblical and modern languages, motorcycles, classical guitar, technology

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:41 PM

Thank you Harold, for those insights and the confirmation. Regarding the misaligned furtive patach, I noticed that also in the BHS but imagine it's not an issue for those who know what to look for and have a grasp on the vocabulary. Curious though if that could be addressed in future updates of the BHS or if the Quinta will have it. Likely the patach issue springs from the e-text Accordance received.

#4 Bob Kuo

Bob Kuo

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:33 PM

I believe the problem is not in the texts but rather in the fonts that display them.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hebrew, Syllables

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users