Extra Leading in Font

Brett K.

The Problem: There is extra leading between some lines when using certain fonts.

The Description: I recently purchased the font URW Grotesk (OTF). When I tried it in Accordance I noticed extra leading between some of the lines (see attached screen shot). Upon inspection I found that Accordance is placing extra space above lines that contain any form of punctuation quotation marks. I tried several different settings for leading, but the extra space was always there.

I tested the font in Text Edit, Pages, and Mail. The problem did not occur in any of those apps.

Any idea what is going on?

Thanks

--

Brett

Accordance 9.6.2

Mac OS X 10.6.8

post-734-0-96908300-1340058120_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brett K.

Brett, I'm sorry no one has responded to this yet. I looked at it earlier, was stumped, and hoped someone else might have an answer. Generally when you see extra leading in certain lines like this, the culprit is that you have a font change of some kind. However, your screenshot shows extra leading before lines that do not have a font change. We'll try to figure out what about this particular font is causing this.

I wonder if there is a baseline shift built into the quotes that is causing the shift on those lines. I have generally seen this when superscripts were on a line. I would be curious to know if this occurs with other fonts as well.

Sorry its taken a while for me to take a look at this. It seems for some reason the bold and italic styles of this font are coming back as being taller than the normal ones, so when there are bolded sections of text, it adds more line spacing. This is especially odd as the bold sections aren't even being rendered as bold in your screenshot ("God created."). We'll take a look into this to see if we can handle this a bit better for the next release.