36 replies to this topic

#21 robrecht

robrecht

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Accordance Version:Non-user

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:02 AM

Thanks, all. I hope this thread might continue to be useful to others.

I have an on-line friend who uses Accordance and raves about it. I may work with him to discover specific syntactic and other searches that can be done on Accordance that cannot be done on BibleWorks or vice versa.

I'd like to also stick around here to ask such specific questions as well. This seems to be a very friendly and helpful community.

I will probably buy BibleWorks in a week or two when I hope to have some time available to learn to use it. Thanks again, everyone, for all your help!

Edited by robrecht, 15 July 2012 - 10:03 AM.

#22 arcanemuse

arcanemuse

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:09 PM

I have used a lot of different Bible software on multiple platforms. Bibleworks is good for original language stuff but weak on commentaries and the like. Logos I own and use on my Mac but it is very bloated and very slow. For sheer massive quantities of resources, nothing really matches it but you have to ask yourself the question... how much of this stuff am I ever going to use? I put a LOT of money into Logos and still use it as a library for researching things. When I do a search and turn up a bazillion things... sometimes you can find just that one illustration or article to top off a Sunday school lesson, but it takes a while to sift through it all. Here lies the difference in all these things. Speed, agility and efficiency. Using Logos is like driving a BUS. Accordance handles like a FERARRI. They don't have the massive amount of overkill of resources and that is fine. With Accordance you can get all you need and more besides. There is sheer massive quantity and then there is QUALITY in resources. Accordance can do everything that Bibleworks can as far as language resources. I heard mentioned something about Jewish texts. They have a whole package for that. I find Accordance overall to be a tad quicker than Bibleworks and since it has more resources available, it wins out there as well. You can run Accordance on a pc with the emulator to wet your appetite but you really want to run it on a Mac. That is what it all comes down to, I guess. If you have a PC and don't want to switch to Mac, at least give Accordance a try on the emulator. If that doesn't butter your biscuits then go with Bibleworks.
  • Michael J. Bolesta likes this
God Bless,
Rick

#23 Donovan R. Palmer

Donovan R. Palmer

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:18 AM

I tell my friends, if you can only own one Bible program, buy Accordance. It's simple enough that someone starting out can get a lot out of it. It's powerful enough that it will satisfy a scholar. Use Accordance to its fullest and if you still feel you are lacking, buy another program to supplement it resource wise. I assert the vast majority of people will never feel or sense the need though.
  • Michael J. Bolesta likes this

#24 Kevin Soars

Kevin Soars

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:17 AM

<p>
<style id="_clearly_component__css" type="text/css">
#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }</style>
Coming from England, I did not know and was tickled by the expression &#39;to butter your biscuits&#39; (and I thought we called them biscuits and you called them cookies!). Seriously, I wish to thank you for this very good contribution. I found it very informative and helpful.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Thank you,</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Kevin.</p>
<div id="_clearly_component__next_pages_container">&nbsp;</div>

Kevin.

#25 Kevin Soars

Kevin Soars

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:21 AM

<p>Apologies to all! It has happened again; I shall have to stop &#39;posting&#39; till I learn how to do it! I don&#39;t know why I get all these &#39;extra markings&#39;. Thank you Donavan also; and yes, I agree with you.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Kevin.</p>
<style id="_clearly_component__css" type="text/css">
#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }</style>
<div id="_clearly_component__next_pages_container">&nbsp;</div>

Kevin.

#26 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,497 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:57 AM

Kevin: try clicking the electric switch button in the top left of the edit buttons: Toggle editing mode.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#27 robrecht

robrecht

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:51 PM

I wish I had known this was in the works! Starting next year, Accordance will be available for Windows, without the need for an emulator:

http://www.accordanc...nce-For-Windows

#28 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,666 posts
  • Interests:a good cup of coffee, sci-fi, playing bass, listing to jazz and the blues, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:14 AM

I believe Accordance on Windows will be a game-changer for the Bible software industry.

What we're writing is not a simple "port" of the Mac program, with all the hassles that brings. We've witnessed what happens to other companies that have tried this approach [in all sorts of software, not just Bible software]. It can be a real mess. We're re-writing Accordance specifically for Windows, to be as fast and fully-featured on Windows as it is on the Mac.

I suspect we'll be seeing a lot of head-to-head speed trials and feature comparisons on identical machines in 2013. May the best program win!
  • James Tucker, Fr. Rusty Matheny, T. Conrad and 1 other like this

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

Mac: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz Quad core, 16 GB RAM, Mercury 6G 480 SSD + 1.5 TB HD, OSX 10.10, Yosemite

iPhone 6 plus 64 GB iOS 8.1

#29 Kevin Soars

Kevin Soars

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:57 AM

Dr. J and Robrecht, please forgive me jumping in here to answer Helen's note of help (which I have only just spotted! sorry Helen). So far no strange markings! I am now going to click the electric switch button as suggested to see what happens! Well, the font just went a bit different and grey; that's is all I noticed. Hope all goes well when I click "Post"!

Kevin.

So that worked! I really don't know what happened to my previous attempts above!
Kevin.

#30 Ken Simpson

Ken Simpson

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,832 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy
    Archaeology
    Physics
    Hebrew and Greek
    Papyrology
    Orthopædic Surgery
    Yosemite 10.10.1

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:11 AM

Well done Kevin. Just call it a miracle and smile!

Regards
Ken
Lead Australian Accordance Demonstrator

Administrator, Accordance Exchange

Assistant Minister, Summer Hill Church

#31 Kevin Soars

Kevin Soars

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:32 AM

Thank you Ken, I am not sure what the sign is for "DG for miracles" but here is the smile :) !
Kevin.

#32 robrecht

robrecht

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:05 PM

I believe Accordance on Windows will be a game-changer for the Bible software industry.

What we're writing is not a simple "port" of the Mac program, with all the hassles that brings. We've witnessed what happens to other companies that have tried this approach [in all sorts of software, not just Bible software]. It can be a real mess. We're re-writing Accordance specifically for Windows, to be as fast and fully-featured on Windows as it is on the Mac.

I suspect we'll be seeing a lot of head-to-head speed trials and feature comparisons on identical machines in 2013. May the best program win!

If you'd like, I'd be wiling to do some of these head-to-head comparisons for you. My 30-day trial of BibleWorks expired just a couple of days prior to the announcement of Accordance for Windows. :'-( So I already have BibleWorks; I would just need a complimentary copy of Accordance. ;-)

#33 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,497 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:13 AM

We are not ready for beta testers yet, let alone reviewers.

This will in fact be an ongoing port of Accordance for Mac. The clear advantage of doing so is that it will stay current with the Mac version, and immediately incorporate new features.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#34 bkMitchell

bkMitchell

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:32 PM

... We're re-writing Accordance specifically for Windows, to be as fast and fully-featured on Windows as it is on the Mac...

This is very exciting news, indeed!

I am aware that on the Mac version of Accordance, one is able to execute queries on (טעמי המקרא) cantillation/Trope patterns in the BHS as well as on the נְקֻדּוֹת and roots. So, I am wondering if these same type of search capabilities will be included in the PC version of Accordance to be released next year?

For example if someone needed to find all the occurrences of Etnachta Clauses (where the following cantilltation marks appear in this order: mercha, tipcha, munach, and etnachta) in the Pentateuch. Will, such a query be possible on the upcoming PC version of Accordance?

Thanks in advance

חַפְּשׂוּ בַּתּוֹרָה הֵיטֵב וְאַל תִּסְתַּמְּכוּ עַל דְּבָרַי

#35 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,497 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:53 AM

We plan to support all the features of Accordance on Mac on the PC version.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#36 Michael Miles

Michael Miles

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Bible studies

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:07 PM

I have Accordance, BibleWorks, and Logos. As far as I know, only BibleWorks allows you to do your own morphological tagging.

#37 bkMitchell

bkMitchell

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:44 AM

We plan to support all the features of Accordance on Mac on the PC version.

Thank you!

חַפְּשׂוּ בַּתּוֹרָה הֵיטֵב וְאַל תִּסְתַּמְּכוּ עַל דְּבָרַי

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users