twbeining

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study, iMac, MacBook Pro, & iPad Mini
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:26 AM

I would love to see the NOAB (New Oxford Annotated Bible) added. I would also like to see the Oxford Bible Commentary added. These are excellent resources.

Tim

Edited by twbeining, 24 July 2012 - 02:41 PM.

• Dan Francis and D. C. Foster like this

#2 Dan Francis

Dan Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

I would love both those too… I am lucky enough to have the old OBC for logos even though i can't use it on my iPad, i value it, and would gladly purchase it from Accordance, so i could use it on my iPad.

-Dan
  • twbeining likes this

#3 twbeining

twbeining

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

Hi Dan,

I have both in other formats, a hard copy of NOAB and I like you have OBC for Logos. I would love to see them in Accordance. That would be about all it would take for me to quit using the "other" software altogether. It is just way too many bugs and in my opinion is slow. I really like Accordance, it is good solid software and I hope they can add these resources.

Also there are a lot of other titles from Oxford University Press that would be great to have on Accordance.

Tim
  • Dan Francis likes this

#4 Greg Terry

Greg Terry

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study & Accordance!, Puritans and John Calvin, Old Testament study - especially Leviticus, Model Railroading, Apple Computers, & Fountain Pens

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:44 PM

You could add me as one who would like both titles but especially the NOAB. It would not have to be the latest edition. My favorite edition of the NOAB is the 2nd but any edition would be an instant purchase if it were available in Accordance.
  • twbeining likes this
Peace!

Greg

"I was but a Pen in God's hand, and what praise is due to a Pen?"

–Richard Baxter–

#5 C Layton

C Layton

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Bicycling, Family, and Reading;
    Ecotheology, Political theology, and Apocalyptic theology.

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

Put me down as one wanting the NOAB; it would be an instant-purchase and my first "study bible" for Accordance.
Christopher Layton
Copy Editor
Wipf & Stock Publishers
Portland, OR

#6 Dan Francis

Dan Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:03 PM

It's a sad thing that Accordance has some Oxford study bibles (Scofield, Catholic, Jewish) but failed to get NOAB (it very well may not have ben offered but about the time they got the others they had been released for the Palm/Windows CE, eventually Olivetree took all over except the NOAB which was left in handmark distribution alone. I even tried to hack my iPhone BibleReader to get NOAB into it, but i was informed that while the files inside are labeled the same as the palm files they are not compatible.

-Dan

#7 twbeining

twbeining

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

Does anyone know if Accordance is planning any of these resources (NOAB, OBC or others from Oxford)? Maybe someone from Accordance can jump in here and give us some insight.

Tim

#8 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,770 posts
  • Interests: gadgets, coffee, running and cycling, Rays baseball

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

We are pursuing additional titles from OUP, but don't have anything specific to report as of now. Thanks for the requests; they are noted.

Rick Bennett
Director of Content Development
iOS Working Group

#9 twbeining

twbeining

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:27 PM

Thanks Rick!

I will check back in on this sometime down the road to see if there are any updates on when you might have them.

Thanks again,

Tim

#10 Dan Francis

Dan Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

One has to realize that dealing with Oxford can be very hard too… I know Logos had started producing the Oxford Latin Dictionary, started work on it and then Oxford for whatever reason pulled the contract. It ruffled not a few peoples feathers who had preordered it, I also remember Helen saying things did not go easy while getting the Revised English Bible.

-dan

#11 Matthew Burgess

Matthew Burgess

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:20 PM

I would be extremely interested in both The New Oxford Annotated Bible and The Oxford Bible Commentary. The latter commentary, along with The New Jerome Biblical Commentary and The Eerdmans Bible Commentary, are among the most frequently cited one-volume commentaries in scholarly literature. Any of these, particularly TOBC or TNJBC, would be an instant purchase for me.

In my opinion, the absence of The New Oxford Annotated Bible and The HarperCollins Study Bible from the Accordance library are especially unfortunate, since these are the study Bibles used in religious studies courses in most colleges, universities, and mainline seminaries. I would love to recommend Accordance to my undergraduate students, but I can't really ask them to make such a significant monetary investment when the program doesn't include either of the study Bibles required for the course. I completely understand the difficulties surrounding contracts and copyrights... I just wanted to share my thoughts.
  • Greg Terry and twbeining like this

#12 Greg Terry

Greg Terry

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study & Accordance!, Puritans and John Calvin, Old Testament study - especially Leviticus, Model Railroading, Apple Computers, & Fountain Pens

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:28 PM

In additi

I would be extremely interested in both The New Oxford Annotated Bible and The Oxford Bible Commentary.

Having the OBC in Accordance would be most welcome and eliminate me having to hire a former pro football to lug that 75lb book to my desk.. :)
Peace!

Greg

"I was but a Pen in God's hand, and what praise is due to a Pen?"

–Richard Baxter–

#13 Ken Simpson

Ken Simpson

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,330 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy
    Archaeology
    Physics
    Hebrew and Greek
    Papyrology
    Surgeon

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:46 PM

Hi Greg,

while I am the last person in the world to make light of someone else's typos, just the image of a pro football lugging a book around captured my imagination. I wish I was an artist!

Is that what is meant by a ball carrier? :)

Regards
Ken
Australian Accordance Demonstrator

Administrator, Accordance Exchange

Assistant Minister, Summer Hill Church

#14 twbeining

twbeining

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:28 AM

Matthew,

I would also like to see the HarperCollins Study Bible added to Accordance. In my opinion it rates close to the NOAB. I have a hard copy of HarperCollins and it is always in reach at my desk right along side of my NOAB. Both are fine study Bibles.

Tim

#15 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:52 AM

I would be extremely interested in both The New Oxford Annotated Bible and The Oxford Bible Commentary. The latter commentary, along with The New Jerome Biblical Commentary and The Eerdmans Bible Commentary, are among the most frequently cited one-volume commentaries in scholarly literature. Any of these, particularly TOBC or TNJBC, would be an instant purchase for me. In my opinion, the absence of The New Oxford Annotated Bible and The HarperCollins Study Bible from the Accordance library are especially unfortunate, since these are the study Bibles used in religious studies courses in most colleges, universities, and mainline seminaries. I would love to recommend Accordance to my undergraduate students, but I can't really ask them to make such a significant monetary investment when the program doesn't include either of the study Bibles required for the course. I completely understand the difficulties surrounding contracts and copyrights... I just wanted to share my thoughts.

Thanks for the requests on additional titles here; we'll look into them. The NJBC (3d ed.) looks like it was published in 1999 which may mean an e-text is not readily available.

However, I am a little perplexed by your comment on not being able to recommend Accordance because of the lack of these resources (specifically NOAB and HarperCollins SB)…does that mean you don't recommend any Bible software to your students? These titles are not available any Bible software platform.

Edited by Rick Bennett, 08 August 2012 - 08:52 AM.

Rick Bennett
iOS Working Group

#16 Steve Lo Vullo

Steve Lo Vullo

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:33 AM

Rick, the HarperCollins Study Bible is available for BibleReader from OliveTree.
Steve Lo Vullo

#17 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:34 AM

Rick, the HarperCollins Study Bible is available for BibleReader from OliveTree.

Ah, yes; I remember that now. I guess they count… B)

Rick Bennett
iOS Working Group

#18 Dan Francis

Dan Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:24 PM

And OUP had 2nd edition of NOAB for the computer I use it occasionally still via BasiliskII and NOAB 3rd edition was made for Olivetree's software via handmark. In fact it is still for sale, if you still happen to be using a palm or old windows CE PDA.

-Dan

#19 twbeining

twbeining

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

NOAB is now available for Wordsearch. I was kind of surprised to see it there but it is there.

Tim

Edited by twbeining, 08 August 2012 - 02:18 PM.

#20 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:25 PM

NOAB is now available for Wordsearch. I was kind of surprised to see it there but it is there.

Tim

Thanks for pointing this out.

Rick Bennett
iOS Working Group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users