#1 Mick Matousek

Mick Matousek

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 22 May 2005 - 08:35 AM

Is it possible to print interleaved text without spaces between lines ? I checked "Print Settings" and adjusted "Text Settings" for all panes to be printed. Single line spacing does not effect the spacing between verses when interleaved. One pane printing does give single line spacing. I'd like to achieve denser print outs.

GNT
NASB
GNT
NASB
GNT
NASB ...

#2 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,506 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:39 PM

No-one has requested this before, and I see no way right now to accomplish this other than to print to PDF and use a PDF editor to remove the spaces.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#3 David Glasgow

David Glasgow

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Music, Diversity

Posted 09 June 2005 - 07:39 PM

I hear you, Helen. It does seem like a small thing. But feel free to add my voice as one who would appreciate cleaner print options within Accordance.

(I haven't mentioned this earlier, because it's so bloomin' easy to copy text into a word processor for editing and printing. But the multi-pane dilemma has caused me to stumble a time or two.)

Peace and worth,

:)
D
"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder
than one closed by belief." --Gerry Spence

#4 Mick Matousek

Mick Matousek

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 11:50 AM

Currently Accordance prints interleaved text, each verse on consecutive lines. To customize, one needs to output to pdf file and manually edit.

Why more ? Interleaved text could be more useful in study and presentation if a few customizable options could exist.
- Ability to export interleaved reports into Unicode word processor
- Add printing options for interleaved text
Customizable spacing and pagination
Option1: Interleave line spacing (single, 1.5, double)
Option2: New page after each set of interleaved texts (better verse by verse study or presentation)
- Customizable hit ranges
Option3: Present the hits similar to the concordance window where only a specified number of words surround the hit

Realistically, no amount of interleave features will likely produce greater sales. I sympathize with the difficulty Oaktree faces determining which modules and features to spend internal computing resources upon. If the Accordance forum allowed polls anywhere, I would create a poll here to query the forum members on their preferences.

#5 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 3,048 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows

Posted 10 September 2005 - 12:11 PM

I sympathize with the difficulty Oaktree faces determining which modules and features to spend internal computing resources upon.  If the Accordance forum allowed polls anywhere, I would create a poll here to query the forum members on their preferences.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Regarding the Poll option, I am pretty sure members are allowed to create polls. There should be a button next to New Topic that says New Poll. If its not there, I'll track that down, but meanwhile, I can create the poll for you. What topic title/choices do you want?
Joel Brown

By day: Consultant for Oaktree
By night: Freelance Trombonist and Private Instructor

#6 Mick Matousek

Mick Matousek

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 12:30 PM

Joel,

That 'New Poll' button at the top creates a poll independent of this discussion. I'm thinking it should be a 'New Poll' button at the bottom that adds a poll to this discussion. Otherwise we will have twice the number of topics necessary on a single topic. The preceding discussions add context to the poll.

Quote removed by Helen

Edited by Helen Brown, 10 September 2005 - 06:20 PM.

#7 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 3,048 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows

Posted 10 September 2005 - 01:50 PM

There is actually no way to add a Poll to a pre-existing topic. You simply create Polls that can have topics and discussion attached to them. I guess this is a limitation of this board, though I haven't heard of this option on any other boards. If you want, you can create a Poll, then I can move over all the posts from this discussion to that one (though they will seem a bit out of context, as the first ones won't be talking about a poll. Most other boards I read do simply create another topic if a poll idea comes up in an existing one.
Joel Brown

By day: Consultant for Oaktree
By night: Freelance Trombonist and Private Instructor

#8 Martin Shields

Martin Shields

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 05:04 PM

Is it possible to print interleaved text without spaces between lines ?  I checked "Print Settings" and adjusted "Text Settings" for all panes to be printed.  Single line spacing does not effect the spacing between verses when interleaved.  One pane printing does give single line spacing.  I'd like to achieve denser print outs.

GNT
NASB
GNT
NASB
GNT
NASB ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In fact, I'd like the reverse (if I understand what you're saying). I'd like the ability to have verses align in panes between versions on screen as they do when printing. I think this would make the display clearer when comparing versions.

#9 Mick Matousek

Mick Matousek

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 07:03 PM

Is it possible to print interleaved text without spaces between lines ?  I checked "Print Settings" and adjusted "Text Settings" for all panes to be printed.  Single line spacing does not effect the spacing between verses when interleaved.  One pane printing does give single line spacing.  I'd like to achieve denser print outs.

GNT
NASB
GNT
NASB
GNT
NASB ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In fact, I'd like the reverse (if I understand what you're saying). I'd like the ability to have verses align in panes between versions on screen as they do when printing. I think this would make the display clearer when comparing versions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Martin,

I'm not sure I completely understand your comment. There are no panes when you print interleaved. However, adjusting panes that are on screen is a function of font sizing, the number of panes, and the position the pane divider.

#10 Martin Shields

Martin Shields

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 04:59 PM

Mick,

What I meant was that, when a number of different parallel texts (e.g. BHS-W4 and LXX1) are displayed, it would be nice if the verses could be aligned. I know that playing around with font sizes and the position of the pane divider can approximate this, but it is only ever an approximation because the texts do inevitably move out of alignment.

I've (tried to) attach a "mock-up" of what I mean.

Regards,

Martin Shields.
Attached File  accmockup.gif   43.5KB   66 downloads

#11 jpkang

jpkang

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:Comparative Semitics; ancient Hebrew semantics; Hebrew syntax; history and religion of ancient Israel; history of interpretation.

Posted 12 September 2005 - 12:22 AM

Martin,

I've been asking about exactly this for YEARS! :) At least to have a preference or per-tab option to specify alignment of the first lines of all visible verses would be very handy. Since Accordance already does the calculus for printouts, why not for the screen?

J. P.
J. P. Kang, Ph.D. (Bible)

#12 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,506 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 12 September 2005 - 08:59 AM

If this were easy to do, we would have done it a long time ago! Screen display does not use the same code as printing, and this kind of ongpoing calculation would probably slow the display even more. We will look at it again for a future rev., but I make no promises.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users