Bret Hicks

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:10 AM

Arcanemuse,

I have Evernote on my system and have never noticed this problem. I suspect it is something else. This may sound silt, but have you shut down Evernote and then restarted it and tried it again? Or shut down the Mac and see if it still happens?

Also, you do not have to modify the Scripts to have them use different versions. I have set NIV84 as my default English text, so the scripts for the default translation use it rather than NIV11 (or ESV, etc.) So, for example, I have set a hot-key sequence of CMD-OPT-CTRL-Q to insert whatever verse I ask for into my current document. When I do this, it inserts from the NIV84.

Hope it works well for you soon.

In Christ,

Bret

#42 arcanemuse

arcanemuse

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:25 AM

I haven't tried rebooting as it takes 15 minutes for everything to load after I do. I have a lot open and there are only 12 gigs of ram in this quad core iMac. I need about double that. I had to stop using Safari as it regularly uses up to 4 gigs of ram. Firefox runs in 32 bit mode, at least, and only takes up a gig or gig and a half on a bad day. I just shut down Evernote completely, though, and ran the script again. It did open Evernote but no other windows opened. Had Evernote been running, I am pretty sure I would be swatting another 54 windows closed. Maybe I just have to be sure to keep Evernote shut down when running that particular type of service. For now, anyway, that's probably the most sensible thing to do. I think the problem lies somewhere in the interaction between the main script and the services script. Since it creates a note containing a zip file of every single service when I just use one.... something weird is happening. Papers was also opening and it had similar cloud like abilities to it as well. All very very weird. I don't have a PhD in computer programming so I don't have a clue. I can follow along in a script just far enough to be dangerous and change a little thing here or there and see what happens. I changed the NIV as it has the NIV11 and I can't stand that thing. My change was good. I also don't want the NIV as default. I know my change didn't cause this as I tried another version I didn't touch and the same thing happened.
God Bless,
Rick

#43 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Interests:I like things that are Orange, and possibly Blue.
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:49 AM

Arcane,
you should feel free to change the module name properties to the various services... as you see, they are written and commented to encourage you to do so.

My script library makes no reference to Evernote. I don't use Evernote, so don't have experience with it, but my guess is that the problem is a conflict with a global hotkey for Evernote. This Evernote Global hotkey is getting activated either by the same hotkey you are pressing to activate the Accordance Service, or perhaps by a keyboard shortcut that the Accordance Script Library is emulating in order to interact with Accordance.
Here is one list I I see online for Evernote global hotkeys. Perhaps an Evernote user (Bret?) could weigh in on which of those could be the culprit?
Joe Weaks
The Macintosh Biblioblog

Sometimes I'm so helpful even I can't stand it.

#44 arcanemuse

arcanemuse

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:29 AM

I am not using any keys, just the right click and then services.. but clearly it is tripping the switch in Evernote and it WAS opening Papers as well... I nuked that thing out of existence. I have just the default Evernote install. I didn't change anything there. Somehow, the New Note feature is being activated and it is zipping up all the scripts and then processing them. I'll fight with it for a few more hours and then give up I suppose. Daily I find something else with a computer that frustrates me to the point of just wanting to throw the whole thing out the window and just use books. Good thing I have a thick skull and am more stubborn than an ornery mule.....
God Bless,
Rick

#45 arcanemuse

arcanemuse

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:16 AM

This might help. When I put all those services in, I copied and pasted them. Since then, I copied and pasted a link from a website. Now it is creating a new note every time I send a verse to Accordance with the link to that website. Somehow the contents of the clipboard are being sent to Evernote as a new note every time I send a verse to Accordance. Also, no matter what version I use, it now seems to just want to put the verse up in the window and it is up to me to hit enter as it isn't doing it on its own. It's the contents of the clipboard. I am not sure how to clear the clipboard other than by copying something else. As I said... it's a good thing I have a hard head....
God Bless,
Rick

#46 Steve King

Steve King

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:19 AM

I have a similar issue with Evernote. It opens when I use the accordance verses service. This does not happen with the english tools service. I did try changing a global hotkey a while back. Can't remember if that made much of a difference. It still opens but at the moment it is not creating a new note.

#47 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

I am not sure how to clear the clipboard other than by copying something else. As I said... it's a good thing I have a hard head....

First off, stop being hard-headed, and restart your computer. :)
It seems Evernote or another utility app has a clipboard history, and that some key shortcut used by the Accordance Script Library also activates this global "Save clipboard contents to a new Evernote note". Restarting might clear the clipboard history, but you still need to track down the global shortcut being activated. I can have a look at it, and provide you with a list of all keyboard shortcuts the script will initiate, and then you can test on your machine. It's only about 4 or 5 keyboard combinations.
It may take a week on account of the holidays.
Joe Weaks
The Macintosh Biblioblog

#48 arcanemuse

arcanemuse

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:41 AM

I rebooted and it did clear the clipboard and that is all. It still creates a new note in Evernote. It's blank now but it is still a note. I'll just be careful not to have 50 things in the clipboard.... maybe just copy a sentence or something. One note I can discard easily enough. 50 or more windows flying at you is quite the distraction. At least I know why it did it... sort of. There must be some command to clear the clipboard. I did manage to find a way to see what is in the clipboard... Go to the Finder, click edit up top and then show clipboard. You can't do anything with it but you can at least see what it has in there so there won't be any nasty surprises.
God Bless,
Rick

#49 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:37 AM

It seems the conflict is with the Evernote Global command "Paste as new note" which is Command+Control+v (⌘⌃v). I see it in a menu screen capture here.
This is the keyboard command that the Accordance Script Library uses to force the Accordance window to be in "Verses" field search when running a Display in Accordance Service.
So, the Evernote global command is getting activated at that point.
From my understanding, the Evernote command opens a new note, using the clipboard contents. If it is a file, then it attaches the file. Try it yourself, manually. Go to any app, copy something to the clipboard, and then hit ⌘⌃v and you should see the same behavior.

So, the question that needs answering, is there a way to change or disable that global keyboard shortcut in Evernote? Does it show up in the System Preferences/Keyboard/Keyboard Shortcuts listing?
Joe Weaks
The Macintosh Biblioblog

#50 arcanemuse

arcanemuse

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:43 AM

I didn't see anything in preferences. Then again, I haven't a clue what I was really look for. There wasn't really anything called Keyboard Shortcuts but there were shortcuts in services. I didn't see anything in there. I then looked in the preferences of Evernote itself and found a way to shut that off in there. I don't know if that is important or not. I don't use keyboard shortcuts much as my memory is bad and I can't remember where I put anything anymore... let alone remember too many shortcuts. Shutting that off seems to have cured it from doing that. Since I have never used that shortcut before, I probably won't miss it. Thanks for finding the switch so this dummy could turn it off! :-) What would you suggest I set that key to if I wanted to create a new one for it? I don't want something else weird to happen. :-)
God Bless,
Rick

#51 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

Glad we found the conflict. This is helpful for anyone using Evernote. In the Evernote preferences, you must change the global keyboard preference that enables the Paste Clipboard to New Note. Posted Image
Otherwise, the Accordance Script Library will invoke that function when it scripts a ⌘⌃v to set the Accordance text window to the "Verses" field.
  • Steve King likes this
Joe Weaks
The Macintosh Biblioblog

#52 Steve King

Steve King

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:54 AM

Thanks Joe for solving that problem. And thanks for the services that you have built - really useful.

Have a great new year

Steve

#53 Don Ruhl

Don Ruhl

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:36 AM

After installing Mavericks, the Accordance widget now tells me that UI Scripting is not enabled, and that I have to "Enable accessibility for assistive devices." I discovered that this is not easily found, as in Mountain Lion, but I clicked Security and Privacy in System Preferences, clicked Privacy, then Accessibility, then unlocked it, and then dragged the Accordance app icon to the window, and now Accordance appears in "Allow the apps below to control your computer," and it is checked, but the widget still does not work. 

Don Ruhl
Church of Christ
220 NE Savage Street
Grants Pass, Oregon 97526-1310
541-476-3100
http://www.GrantsPas...rchofChrist.com
http://www.TheBibleMeditator.com
http://associate.com...aildevotionals/

#54 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:19 PM

Don,

Glad you figured it out. They have changed UI scripting permissions in 10.9.  It is now located as you say in Security and Privacy/Privacy/Accessibility.  

I am glad they put in an automated process to approve an app. When you first run a script that accesses the user interface of Accordance, you should get a dialog bog:

accessibilityexample-02.png

Selecting "System Preferences…" should walk you through the process of enabling it. More info is at http://macosxautomat...ting/index.html

When the dust settles, I may have to do a bit of code change for 10.9. Other have already noted that the latest version of iWorks apps don't recognize the Services.  Boo.

Joe Weaks
The Macintosh Biblioblog

#55 Don Ruhl

Don Ruhl

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:03 PM

Don,

Glad you figured it out. They have changed UI scripting permissions in 10.9.  It is now located as you say in Security and Privacy/Privacy/Accessibility.  

I am glad they put in an automated process to approve an app. When you first run a script that accesses the user interface of Accordance, you should get a dialog bog:

Selecting "System Preferences…" should walk you through the process of enabling it. More info is at http://macosxautomat...ting/index.html

When the dust settles, I may have to do a bit of code change for 10.9. Other have already noted that the latest version of iWorks apps don't recognize the Services.  Boo.

Actually, I have not figured it out yet apparently, because it still does not work. 

Don Ruhl
Church of Christ
220 NE Savage Street
541-476-3100

#56 Don Ruhl

Don Ruhl

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:09 PM

Don,

When I access the widget, here is what I am seeing: 

file:///Users/donruhl/Desktop/Screen%20Shot%202013-10-24%20at%2012.03.16%20PM.jpg

Don Ruhl
Church of Christ
220 NE Savage Street
541-476-3100

#57 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:09 PM

The problem is that it doesn't seem to work for widgets.  You can add apps there, but not widgets, so until someone figures it out, that part of the widget won't work on 10.9.

Joel Brown

By day: Consultant for Oaktree
By night: Freelance Trombonist and Private Instructor

#58 Don Ruhl

Don Ruhl

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:10 PM

The problem is that it doesn't seem to work for widgets.  You can add apps there, but not widgets, so until someone figures it out, that part of the widget won't work on 10.9.

Oh no, I can't use my widget! This is one of the great parts about Accordance. I hope someone gets this figured out soon. 

Don Ruhl
Church of Christ
220 NE Savage Street
541-476-3100

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users