Creating a custom Bible reading plan for User Tool

thechrisroberts

I've just updated Enscriptured to make it easy for Accordance users to create a Bible reading plan for use in User Tools.

For an example, visit http://www.enscriptured.com/Plan.php?planId=31 notice at the bottom where it outputs the plan there are three links, one of them is "Download html for Accordance User Tool". That will download an html file formatted to be easily recognized by the Accordance User Tool.

Once you download the file, open Accordance and go to File / User Files / Import User Tool and follow its steps. Point it to the html file you downloaded from Enscriptured and it should produce your Bible reading plan.

There are still a few glitches on the Enscriptured side, and one remaining pattern matching issue in Accordance (if a passage spans books, such as Day 31 in my example linked above: Accordance doesn't recognize "Genesis 49:28-Exodus 1:7" as one continuous passage. I can adjust Enscriptured to account for that, I just haven't yet).

As it is, it should be useful for anyone who wants to create their own Bible reading plan and use it in Accordance. Please feel free to offer feedback, either on Enscriptured itself or for the way I format the html file it outputs for Accordance.

• Like 5

Nice work. I tried it out and it came into Accordance fine.

If you have something that crosses from one book to the next, you can copy and paste into the search field to bring up the passage.

I've just tweaked Enscriptured so it splits passages that span books, so, for example, instead of Genesis 49:28-Exodus 1:7 it gives Genesis 49:28-50:26; Exodus 1:1-1:7. This way Accordance properly recognizes these ranges. If you bookmarked a link to your plan, just go back to it and download the Accordance file, it will have this change.

Accordance is not properly tagging Song of Solomon, I still need to tweak that output so it uses Song for the book name, which Accordance does recognize.

Updated: I've just added the change just mentioned; instead of 'Song of Solomon' it uses simply 'Song'. I think Accordance should properly recognize everything now.

Edited by thechrisroberts

Thank you very much for this. I'll be messing around with this a bit as I get closer to the end of my next reading cycle.

• 1 month later...

I'm new to your program. Looks great. Is there a way to designate books for a certain time of the year? For instance, I want to read straight through the Bible throughout the year; however, I would like to read Luke in December and one of the Gospel passion narratives during Easter. How would I do something like that? Thanks!!

-Micah

Thanks for this tool Chris! It is pretty easy to use. I think I may have to create something myself for this, but I want my reading plan to be broken up by the day...and at the same time I want a check box for chapter read. The reason being is that many days I like to read ahead by a chapter or two in some cases. I can't see where your tool marks a passage as read?

I guess the best example of this that I know of is the reading plans that are built into Mantis Bible for the iPad/iOS.

I thinking I may have to make a custom one in something like Evernote, but that's a separate thing at the moment. Thanks again for a great tool!

I was able to create a list with checkboxes in Bento. I made a CSV file from a HTML formatted file I downloaded from the site and then imported that into Bento and added a checkbox field. Perhaps doing something like that would be useful to someone.

• 2 months later...

I'm getting an error when trying to export the Accordance file on this.

[EDIT] Here is the error message:

Fatal error: main() [<a href='function.main'>function.main</a>]: The script tried to execute a method or access a property of an incomplete object. Please ensure that the class definition "ProcessText" of the object you are trying to operate on was loaded _before_ unserialize() gets called or provide a __autoload() function to load the class definition in /home/columcille/domains/enscriptured.com/includes/planSetupData.phpon line 40

Edited by T. Conrad

• 3 weeks later...

Chris, I've just played with enscriptured and it's fantastic. :) Thank you very much! Please don't let that site die!

• 5 months later...

Hi Chris,

I'm a brand new Accordance user and Enscriptured is just the thing I was looking for!! Thank you so much!!

Blessings!

David

• 2 months later...

Can we have this available for other books within Accordance?

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

Is anyone else having problems with Enscriptured generating the HTML for Accordance lately? Enscriptured builds the reading plan at the website just fine but the downloaded HTML does not contain the plan in it - at least for me. I contacted Chris about a week ago. This is happening using Mac OSX 10.9 (Safari 7 and Firefox 24 ESR) as well as Windows 8.1 (Internet Explorer).

I went back to Logos for daily reading, which works okay but Logos performance is quite sluggish compared to Accordance and I miss it. I really wish Accordance would build something very similar to Enscriptured into its application for reading plan generation.

David

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem. I am teaching a course on Accordance now and was hoping to use this site in my lecture next week. I'm going to email Chris also.

• 1 month later...

Anyone else unable to access enscriptured.com? I was hoping to push the people in my congregation toward the website to help them in consistency in Bible reading, but it said that the domain had expired.

Is there any way that we as frequent enscriptured users help out?

For all intents and purposes, enscriptured.com has been broken for at least two months and the site owner/developer has not been responsive. I'm not blaming him in the slightest when I say that - he was providing a free service and I'm grateful for it while it lasted. Unfortunately, I don't have any good recommendations for your congregation within Accordance. Perhaps someone else does.

I would say the long-term solution is for Accordance to develop a SIMPLE, CUSTOMIZABLE Bible reading program into Accordance itself. The User Tool is not simple and therefore not an acceptable solution for most people. In contrast, Logos has a very simple, customization Bible reading program and has for years; the reading plan also syncs nicely across Mac, Windows, and iOS (probably Android, too).

So to anyone reading this - PLEASE contact Accordance (oaktree@accordancebible.com) and let them know that you'd very much like to see a simple, customizable Bible reading program built into Accordance. If enough of us do, I have no doubt that Accordance will build it.

Blessings to you,

David

• Like 2