European Verse Notation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 autopistis

autopistis

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Biblical Languages<br />Biblical Interpretation<br />Hermeneutics<br />Stewardship of our Habitat (the Earth is the Lord's)

Posted 24 June 2006 - 05:41 AM

It seems that there has been a change in the format of European verse notation in version 7. What appeared as periods previously now appear as commas. Now every time I do a search I get an error message... and all of my texts display like this: Col. 1,1 instead of Col. 1.1

Has European notation changed?

Edit: Okay... I seem to have found what I was looking for in preferences as decimal verse divider. In that case, what is European notation? I was under the impression that it simply meant that a period was used in place of a colon.

Edited by autopistis, 24 June 2006 - 06:03 AM.

Gord Welch
at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
South Hamilton, MA, USA
simplechristians.blogspot.com

#2 autopistis

autopistis

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Biblical Languages<br />Biblical Interpretation<br />Hermeneutics<br />Stewardship of our Habitat (the Earth is the Lord's)

Posted 31 January 2007 - 04:56 AM

Um, I'm trying to be patient...

I still wonder what European verse notation is supposed to look like.

I know that in North America the format is Mark 1:1
In my textbooks from England it is Mark 1.1

Is "European" verse notation simply Mark 1,1 ?

I've never seen this in a book - where is it used?
Gord Welch
South Hamilton, MA, USA

#3 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 7,762 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:15 AM

European notation is set in Accordance in Preferences/Appearance. The help page for that window states that:

Use European notation for verse entry and display uses a comma (,) in place of a colon (: ) to divide chapter and verse, and a period (.) in place of a comma to separate a list of references.

If you use this global setting, it will not be affected by choosing a decimal verse divider in Set Text Display.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#4 autopistis

autopistis

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:03 PM

Helen, thanks for your reply. While my original question was about what I perceived as a bug, I guess my question now isn't about the Accordance functionality - it's about European verse notation itself. I've never seen notation used anywhere like you've described. I've read many British books (some French); most of them use the decimal divider, and some use the colon as a divider.

Is the comma used in continental Europe?

Forgive my ignorance.

Maybe someone out there can point me to a website or book that uses this...
Gord Welch
South Hamilton, MA, USA

#5 Ruben Gomez

Ruben Gomez

Gold

• Accordance
  • 241 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 31 January 2007 - 02:46 PM

I've never seen notation used anywhere like you've described. I've read many British books (some French); most of them use the decimal divider, and some use the colon as a divider.

Is the comma used in continental Europe?

Verse notations don't always follow a single standard form, even in a given country or region. A comma (rather than a colon) is generally used to separate chapters from verses (John 1, 1) in a number of European countries (e.g., Spain, Italy, France...) but I can't tell you just how many for sure...

In Spain, for instance, many Protestant authors would write John 1:1, while most scholars (Protestant and Catholic alike) would use John 1, 1 instead. Go figure!

In short, the use of the comma is definitely European, but the term "European verse notation" is probably more a convention than a scientific label.

Best,

#6 autopistis

autopistis

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:53 PM

Ah... well understood.

Thank you, Ruben.
Gord Welch
South Hamilton, MA, USA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users