#61 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,880 posts
  • Interests: gadgets, coffee, running and cycling, Rays baseball
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

The Bad Elf GPS products are highly rated and have a number of apps for specific uses (including Golf). I've seen one in action on an iPad 3 WiFi for GPS directions and it's nice.

Edited by Rick Bennett, 05 February 2013 - 12:55 PM.

Rick Bennett
Director of Content Development
iOS Working Group

#62 Robb Brunansky

Robb Brunansky

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

I'd be very surprised if we see a Retina iPad Mini next month. Holiday quarter is more likely. It's going to be a tough piece of technology to build because of the amount of battery they will need to put in such a small space to power that display. We just bought an iPad Mini last week at Best Buy for $275 (16GB). They are starting to have the open box Minis now, and you can get a great deal on one. If you are looking to buy a Mini, check out a Best Buy and ask if they have any open box. Both my iPad 3 and my wife's Mini were purchased that way, and they both work great.

Soli Deo Gloria,
Robb Brunansky

#63 Julie Falling

Julie Falling

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts
  • Interests:Numerous!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

OK - We're headed OT here, but does anyone have a good map app that loads the maps on your device so that you can use them sans Wi-Fi, cell signal, or GPS?  Basically, an e-version of an old fashioned map?  I found one with a web search that is rated decently called, You Need a Map.  Does anyone have any experience with this one, or perhaps another?

Julia Falling

Accordance 11

MacBook Air Yosemite

mid-2013 1.7 GHz Intel Core i7 (2 cores)

8 GB RAM; 512 G SSD

Mac mini Yosemite Acc 11

late-2012 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 (4 cores)

16 GB RAM; 1.12  TB Fusion Drive

iPad Air 1 iOS 8.1

64 GB

#64 ukfraser

ukfraser

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

Thanks Julie. The theme set for this Sunday is temptation! I have read this thread with interest, I have been happy with my iPad 2 16 gig and it forces me to be disciplined in what I store on it and since installing accordance, I rarely use the the full version on my MBP. The iPad is always within range and instant start up and is easy to hold and read and my library is always with me, particularly at meetings. With all the liturgy in PDF installed together with converting all my music scores into PDF for use in forScore and turning pages with my Bt 105 AirTurn while leading the music, I use the ipad for preparing and leading services and not having the retina display isn't an issue, though of course I would replace it with the latest should it ever get damaged. However, with a new larger model released, my advice would be to look for people upgrading and snap up a bargain. (I got a 2 month old 64 gig 4s for a bargain when the iPhone 5 was released.)
Fraser Sims
iOS 7, mountain lion, win 7 and win XP.
Other life enhancing software I use includes forScore with AirTurn page turner, HymnQuest, Lightroom and Sibelius.

#65 Julie Falling

Julie Falling

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

Hey, UK - The new stuff is always so appealing that there often really is a battle with coveting!  My husband and I alternate years with iPhone upgrades.  He has a 5, I have a 4S.  My 2-yr phone contract is up at about the time the 5S (or whatever they're going to call it) comes out.  But I don't expect iPad upgrades until 2014.  You would be amazed (or maybe horrified) at how we justified going from iPad 2's to iPad Retinas - "Well, we're made a profit on our Apple stock."  That kind of thinking can really get out of hand, and it's not the norm around here.

Edited by Julie Falling, 15 February 2013 - 07:31 AM.

Julia Falling

Accordance 11

MacBook Air Yosemite

8 GB RAM; 512 G SSD

Mac mini Yosemite Acc 11

iPad Air 1 iOS 8.1

64 GB

#66 ukfraser

ukfraser

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

Just imagine what your choice will be in 2014 and what will be available on it by then! ;o) something to look forward to!!! Fraser

Updated: just done a price comparison and the 128 gb is retailing in the UK for about $200 more than for you in the states. Just as we'll I can download accordance at the US prices!

Edited by ukfraser, 15 February 2013 - 08:17 AM.

Fraser Sims
iOS 7, mountain lion, win 7 and win XP.
Other life enhancing software I use includes forScore with AirTurn page turner, HymnQuest, Lightroom and Sibelius.

#67 Julie Falling

Julie Falling

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:35 AM

We begin to wonder what else Apple can do to improve an already great gadget.  They have consistently given us better performance in hardware and OS for computers and the iOS devices, so 2014 might genuinely have some really nice new features.  I can't imagine what they might be . . .

Julia Falling

Accordance 11

MacBook Air Yosemite

8 GB RAM; 512 G SSD

Mac mini Yosemite Acc 11

iPad Air 1 iOS 8.1

64 GB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users