Julie Falling

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
  • Interests:Numerous!
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

I think the ESV is good, but it's pretty sloppy about verb tenses, with the imperfect most often translated as a simple past. Just do a search for "began" in the narratives (NASB) and see how often the NASB brings out the imperfect compared to the ESV.

The NASB includes many of the verses the GNT excludes if they're found in the KJV - I would rather they had put them in a note like the ESV. (Matt 17:21; 18:11; 23:14; Mark 7:16; 9:44, 46; 11:26; 15:28; Luke 17:36; 23:17; John 5:3, etc.)

I would love to have a version that combines the NASB's meticulous treatment of the Greek language with the ESV's approach to the variations in the Greek text. Since that is unlikely to happen (do we really need yet another English version?), I keep both open, compare, and learn by comparing and then by examining the Greek. I love the way Accordance makes this such a doable way to study.

Julia Falling

Accordance 11

MacBook Air Yosemite

mid-2013 1.7 GHz Intel Core i7 (2 cores)

8 GB RAM; 512 G SSD

Mac mini Yosemite Acc 11

late-2012 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 (4 cores)

16 GB RAM; 1.12  TB Fusion Drive

iPad Air 1 iOS 8.1

64 GB

#22 arcanemuse

arcanemuse

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:25 AM

I am the black sheep of our church. There are others that feel like I do I am pretty sure in other churches, but we keep quiet except to those few we can trust. The church is KJVO. I know one of our brethren that pastors a church in another state... far far away. We agree. He preaches out of the NKJV, I think. He's been unfriended on Facebook and shunned by sister churches over it but he only uses the KJV on the occasions when he preaches at a conference or something. My pastor is cool about it as he knows I keep it under my hat and would never use anything from the pulpit doing Sunday school except the KJV. I like the NASB for how faithful it is to the text. Some people call it a bit wooden but I rather like it. I also like the fact that it, as well as the other translation I like to use have the verses from the majority text in the body of the text in brackets. I know it doesn't belong there but coming from the KJV it gives me a feeling of completeness somehow. The other one I find very good is the HCSB... that either stands for the Holman Christian Standard Bible or Hard Core Southern Baptist...all depends on who you ask :-) Personally I think it reads a bit smoother than the ESV but that might just be me.
Most people find me weird and that's fine because the world done give up on me a lonnnng time ago. I'm just stuck here for the time being so I can learn more and then I get to go home. :-) I am going to figure out Greek one of these years and hopefully be able to pick up a NA27 or UBS4 and be able to fumble my way through it slowly at first and then hopefully be more fluent. Then I can have a bit more credibility when talking to people about translational things. Sorry if some of my questions sound stupid. I will admit that I is a dummy in a lot of things. :-)
God Bless,
Rick

#23 Dan Francis

Dan Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

HCSB... that either stands for the Holman Christian Standard Bible or Hard Core Southern Baptist...all depends on who you ask :-)

For me it will always stand for Harper Collins Study Bible…. it had it first.

-Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users