User notes: fix a tab in a zone?

Abram K-J

For the first time today I started really exploring the User Notes feature for a paper I'm writing. I really like the feature so far. Especially the easy-to-use "make link" button.

A newbie question (or perhaps a feature request if this is just not possible now): Is there a way to fix the note I'm currently editing for a given verse as a tab in a zone, rather than a free-floating window? When I open the User Notes, of course, this is how they open--as a fixed tab in a zone. But is this possible to edit in this way, so as to keep my workspace streamlined?

As of now, the only way to edit is through the detached editing window. I believe there's been requests to have live editing. I sure would like to see it. I don't know the timeline of features, but I believe User Notes and Tools are on the to-do list.

**By the way, I didn't use User Notes all that much until this past year. I normally kept them in a separate file (loaded into another research database with a workspace). I don't use the iPad Accordance app for searches. It's more of a reading device, and I take a ton of notes when I read. Thus I hope notes ramp up to accommodate the iPad/Mac exchange.

Edited by James Tucker

As James did point out, the only way to actually make changes to a User Note or User Tool is with a separate floating window. But, until we are able to make edits inline, there are some tricks that help smooth the process. If you just click and start typing in a user note that is part of your workspace, the edit window will appear exactly in place over it, allowing for easy edits. Then, when you are done you can just Cmd-S and Cmd-W to save and close the note (respectively), so you are quickly back to your old setup.

Hope this works well for you in the meantime!

• Like 2

This is great, Joel. Thanks--that does help!

Thanks for your update, too, James--I'd love to see live editing here. But as it is, I'm a really big fan of these notes. Call it paranoia, but I also copy and past them into Word for having a backup that is compatible in a PC, too--and that's really easy to do and preserve formatting.

Yes, the user notes are welcomed tool for study. I too keep a backup of my files. I don't do it manually, however. I don't use Time Machine, but if you do, your user notes are backed up with each time Machine Backup.

I use a user tool to take sermon notes at church. One thing that will drive you nuts is that when that edit window loses focus... grrrrrrr. You have to find your way back there again and it can be a pain. I found a quick fix for that. Command + ~ that's a tilde... that squiggly thingy to the left of the 1 key up top. That brings the edit window back and you are back in business. I will warn you to wear out that save button at the bottom right. If you do something the program doesn't like and it gets angry with you and crashes..... everything you typed in that window is toast. Gone. As in, you will never, ever see it again. You will weep, wail and gnash your teeth while banging your head into the nearest solid object you can find if you have typed a large amount of stuff into that window. At first you will think... it's all good... I'll just recover session and there it will be. No, it won't. Trust me on this. I have lost a huge amount of notes and thoughts I had put my heart into more than once. If you hit save, then yes... it will be there for you when it comes back to life. Just my fifty cents worth. :-)

I have not, as of yet, used the notes feature. I was never taught to take notes reading and I am one of those that doesn't mark up books. I've been told over and over again by people to do that especially since I am now getting older and the cheese is beginning go slide off of my cracker, I think. I am feeling led to do this and here I stumble over yet another post talking about notes. :-) The Lord knows just how thick of a skull I have since He made it. Hopefully that hint will save you some time and be helpful. :-)

-Rick-

• Like 1