Alistair

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 09 August 2006 - 05:52 AM

Harry,

I get the Azeri anecdote, but the Hittite one still puzzles me. :)

#22 danzac

danzac

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Interests:NT, historical Jesus, DSS, NT Backgrounds

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:08 PM

I want to bump this thread again to bring up the OSIS standard, and the reason for doing so is that I think if Accordance could support at least an import of OSIS files this could potentially open up more modules in the future for its users. For instance, the SBLGNT that recently came out was released in the OSIS format. If Accordance supported an import of OSIS files, Accordance users would instantly have another critical edition of the GNT WITH apparatus. As time rolls on, I can envisage other sites and projects creating free texts using this OSIS xml standard. For instance, perhaps the Online Critical Pseudepigrapha will go this route, or OpenText.org, etc., etc.

#23 Rod Decker

Rod Decker

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:14 PM

Good points all... I posted some bibliography on this in another thread several months ago (including a link to a Wayne Meeks paper on Kittel in PDF format), in case that might be of interest to you.

The link to the pdf is now, apparently, "dead." Wouldn't happen to have a copy would you? Or know the current url? (Searching the Yale site with the search option on the 404 page for "meeks AND kittel" or "meeks AND tdnt" yields no results)

Edited by Rod Decker, 07 December 2010 - 01:14 PM.

Rodney J. Decker, ThD
Professor of NT & Greek
Baptist Bible Seminary
NTResources.com/blog/

#24 danzac

danzac

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Interests:NT, historical Jesus, DSS, NT Backgrounds

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:25 PM

I wouldn't hastily label it anti-Semitic anymore than I would label John's gospel as anti-Semitic. Whether Kittel was a Nazi is immaterial, because works of this kind are not to be swallowed in toto (hook, line and sinker). Despite Barr's critique, it is still useful for the wealth of information it gathers in one place (information not available in the abridged version, and information hard to retrieve unless you're an academic in a First World country) and its "idiosyncrasies" are what makes this work curiously interesting.

Very good point. I'd still like to see TDNT (and TDOT) on Accordance. While I laughed at David's remark as well, we need to remember that this theological dictionary (NOT lexicon) was edited by Kittel, he didn't write the whole thing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users