• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Manfred

Manfred

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 03:06 PM

Yes, indeed, impressive that fast response.
Can you tell me what's the reason for the timeperiod from 4000 BC to 2000 AD?

Best regards,
Manfred

#22 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,520 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 14 August 2006 - 04:47 PM

We extended it backwards from 3000 to 4000 to allow space for those who wanted to add user items of the patriarchs according to a literal interpretation of Genesis.

We cut off the future as some people complained about it extending automatically for millenia. We thought that 2000 was a reasonable cutoff for items related to Biblical studies. I am sorry if you planned to use it to enter future events.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#23 Manfred

Manfred

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:51 AM

We extended it backwards from 3000 to 4000 to allow space for those who wanted to add user items of the patriarchs according to a literal interpretation of Genesis.

I'm sorry Helen to begin again but either you made a wrong calculation or I did.
If I take Abraham who I think comes inserted in the Timeline module already and calculate back with Gen 11:10-29 and Gen 5:1-32 I get to 4174 BC (it's possible I made a mistake in calculation, maybe someone can check this?) and this only covers MT not LXX which will go way beyond that due to the discrepancy in Gen 11:10-29.

Best regards,
Manfred

#24 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,520 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 15 August 2006 - 05:53 PM

I am sorry if it does not satisfy you. We based it on the old chronology by Archbishop Usher who calculated the date of creation as 4004 BC. We really intended the Timeline to be used for dates that can be assigned in history, any "dates" before Abraham are very uncertain to most scholars.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#25 Robb Brunansky

Robb Brunansky

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 06:11 PM

Even if you can't put in Adam's birthday (would you call it that?), you can still fit him on the timeline since his lifespan was so long. No major events would be missing going back to 4000.
Soli Deo Gloria,
Robb Brunansky

#26 Manfred

Manfred

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:35 AM

Even if you can't put in Adam's birthday (would you call it that?),

No, I wouldn't. He wasn't born but created. So I would say it was his creation day. :)

you can still fit him on the timeline since his lifespan was so long. No major events would be missing going back to 4000.

Well, you are probably right. I should be satisfied.

Best regards,
Manfred

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users