Tony Lawrence

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Interests:Hosting Bible Land Tours, Expository Preaching, My granddaughter
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

I expected to see something posted prior to seeing the new version available at iTunes. I see some awesome new things, most notably the ability to sync via Dropbox YEAH!!! The question is how does one get the Accordance app on the Mac to place the files to sync in the Dropbox folder?

Oh yeah, the interface just gets better looking.
Tony Lawrence
biblelandphotos.org

#2 Steve King

Steve King

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

I just copied one of my notes files from my macbook to the relevant dropbox folder then sync'd on the iPad. That worked

#3 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,803 posts
  • Interests: gadgets, coffee, running and cycling, Rays baseball

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

iTunes Connect came back online a day early which caught us by surprise, so we have yet to post a 'sticky' with FAQs on syncing. We'll do that soon, but for now note the following regarding Dropbox support:

The main intent with Dropbox support on v. 1.6 is for iOS-to-iOS syncing, and backing up of User content for iOS-only users. This was a glaring need for those users who would actually lose all User content if they restored their devices, and we felt we could not wait for Accordance Mac to become a full-fledged Dropbox client. BUT, we are already on top of that and Accordance 10.2 will be a Dropbox client supporting syncing of content across your Mac and iOS devices.

NB: We do not recommend manually copying or symbolic linking of your Mac Accordance Files to Dropbox at this time. While advanced users may get it to work, there are a couple scenarios that have caused issues in early testing. We recommend that you wait for full Dropbox support in 10.2.

If you have already linked Dropbox and experience issues with WiFi syncing of modules and/or User content (i.e. hitting the Sync Now button does nothing), un-check your User content and try syncing again.

Thanks!

Rick Bennett
Director of Content Development
iOS Working Group

#4 Steve King

Steve King

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

Well I suppose I'd better wait for 10.2 before I do any more copying. Thanks for the info Rick.

#5 Lance

Lance

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

Yes, thanks for the info indeed. I had rushed in where angels fear to tread and immediately synced my iOS 1.6 app to dropbox. I then remembered that I added some user notes on my iPad last night, and hadn't synced to the mac since then. So I immediately ran the wifi sync, and it worked just fine. I then re-synced the iPad to dropbox - again no problem.

So presumably I currently have identical duplicate user files in (i) dropbox and (ii) ~/Documents/Accordance Files/ ? But presumably also they won't remain identical if I edit user notes on either the iPad (or iPhone for that matter) or the mac. But I imagine I'll be OK between now and the release of Accordance Mac 10.2, if I make a habit of syncing my iOS apps with both dropbox and mac-wifi each time?

Can someone either confirm or cast doubt upon the above assumptions? (especially the last)

Edited by Lance, 27 December 2012 - 09:07 PM.

Blessings!
Lance <º))><

MBP late-2011 (10.9), iPhone 4, iPad 2

#6 Scott Knapp

Scott Knapp

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

So presumably I currently have identical duplicate user files in (i) dropbox and (ii) ~/Documents/Accordance Files/ ? But presumably also they won't remain identical if I edit user notes on either the iPad (or iPhone for that matter) or the mac. But I imagine I'll be OK between now and the release of Accordance Mac 10.2, if I make a habit of syncing my iOS apps with both dropbox and mac-wifi each time?

Can someone either confirm or cast doubt upon the above assumptions? (especially the last)

Dropbox syncing by itself will keep all user content (user notes, user tools, and highlights) identical between your iOS devices. This is independent of WiFi syncing between your IOS device and your desktop. So edits on your iOS device that are pushed to your Dropbox during syncing will become available on your other iOS devices. To make them identical to your desktop files, then WiFi syncing is required. If you make an edit on your desktop and then sync that to your IOS device via WiFi, then you will need to push those changes to your Dropbox via syncing to make them available to your other iOS devices.

As noted, Dropbox support is mainly to keep a user's multiple iOS devices easily in sync. Once we have Dropbox support released for the desktop app, then there will no longer be a need to use WiFi syncing to keep your user content identical (provided you are a Dropbox user).

TL;DR Yes, you will need to use both WiFi and Dropbox syncing if you want to keep your user content synchronized between the desktop app and you have multiple iOS devices.

#7 Lance

Lance

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:51 AM

Yes, you will need to use both WiFi and Dropbox syncing if you want to keep your user content synchronized between the desktop app and you have multiple iOS devices.

OK, thanks Scott. That'll do it for now I guess.

Blessings!
Lance <º))><

#8 arcanemuse

arcanemuse

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

No update to version 1.6 available.  It looks the same, and when I check for updates it says none are available.  Using iOS 6 on an iPad 3.  Tried the app store and nothing shows there either. Is there someplace I can verify the version I am using?  I've spent an hour looking and I can't find that either.

God Bless,
Rick

#9 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

No update to version 1.6 available.  It looks the same, and when I check for updates it says none are available.  Using iOS 6 on an iPad 3.  Tried the app store and nothing shows there either. Is there someplace I can verify the version I am using?  I've spent an hour looking and I can't find that either.

Sounds like an Apple issue; maybe Scott can verify. You should be able to manually install by clicking 'install' from the App store.

To find your current version go to: Library > Settings > About Accordance

Rick Bennett
iOS Working Group

#10 arcanemuse

arcanemuse

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

It's version 1.5.3.   I thought it looked the same.

God Bless,
Rick

#11 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

I just tried this from my iPhone (running 1.6 release candidate) and it actually installed 1.5.3! After I went back to the App store it did not see any updates, but going directly to our app's page it said 'update', which then did install 1.6 successfully. It seems things are still in 'limbo'. Let us know if a manual install/update does not work.

Rick Bennett
iOS Working Group

#12 Lance

Lance

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

Thanks to Bret for a manual fix. See this post on another thread.

Blessings!
Lance <º))><

#13 arcanemuse

arcanemuse

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

Once again, I am looking at the wrong end of the horse.  Even easier.  Go into the app store on your iPad or iPhone.  Search for Accordance.  Where the button would normally say install, it says update.  Bang.  Done.  I fired it up.  Wow.  Nicely done!  :-) 

God Bless,
Rick

#14 arcanemuse

arcanemuse

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

Only one thing.  Where's the wheel for the verse chooser?  The wheel thing is gone!  Arrrrrgh!  Can somebody perhaps put that back, please?

• Joel Brown likes this
God Bless,
Rick

#15 Scott Knapp

Scott Knapp

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:51 PM

Only one thing.  Where's the wheel for the verse chooser?  The wheel thing is gone!  Arrrrrgh!  Can somebody perhaps put that back, please?

Sorry but it's hard enough to support two different versions of the GoTo view as it is. And the picker wheel control didn't support the kind of theming we wanted to implement in v1.6.

#16 JonathanHuber

JonathanHuber

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Interests:Bible study, Greek

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:03 AM

I too was startled by the loss of the wheel and am slowly adjusting to the grid. I may end up preferring the grid eventually, but it would be nice if developers (in general, not just accordance) would warn users when something is deprecated.

#17 ChristianB

ChristianB

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:21 AM

I too was startled by the loss of the wheel and am slowly adjusting to the grid. I may end up preferring the grid eventually, but it would be nice if developers (in general, not just accordance) would warn users when something is deprecated.

Users will always complain if something gets taking away … warning or not (most users don't read release notes anyways). That shouldn't stop devs to refine their app. If you stop support for an OS version that should be in release notes. A feature for which there are still two other/better options … dunno?

While I'm on it. It would be cool if you tap and hold on a book name that it would work like the go to button. E.g. tap and hold "Romans" instead of showing chapters would go to romans 1,1. Same for chapters. Tap and hold chapter 12 would go to chapter 12 instead. Would be a cool "pro feature". 

Edited by ChristianB, 29 December 2012 - 08:37 AM.

#18 ChristianB

ChristianB

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

Great update. No pagination but otherwise really great improvements. Thanks!

Here is some minor stuff I found not working right.

1. I found a bug in 1.6. I tried to search in bookmarks. As soon as I start typing the app crashes. 
2. When searching my usernotes in potrait view on my iPhone some of the buttons overlap. That caused some confusion for me. I also would like to change the default to content.

(BTW: If you need more beta testers let me know ;)

#19 JonathanHuber

JonathanHuber

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Interests:Bible study, Greek

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

While I'm on it. It would be cool if you tap and hold on a book name that it would work like the go to button. E.g. tap and hold "Romans" instead of showing chapters would go to romans 1,1. Same for chapters. Tap and hold chapter 12 would go to chapter 12 instead. Would be a cool "pro feature". 

+1. I actually tried this, assuming that it would work. This would be a useful addition.

• ChristianB and PastorDavid like this

#20 Alex H.

Alex H.

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

Great update. Of course, there's always more to do but with cloud backup and bookmarking, I feel like I can recommend Accordance for iOS as a standalone app now (not that I haven't been recommending it already!). In any case, I have a couple of other iOS Bible apps installed by I almost never go to them anymore. Well done. Again.

www.alexhuggett.me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users